Re: Set your system clock

From: Kirk Strauser (kirk_at_strauser.com)
Date: 02/14/05

    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:17:07 -0600

    On Sunday 13 February 2005 17:36, Glenn English wrote:

    > OTOH, I don't see any reason not to just turn off ntpd and let cron run
    > ntpdate every hour or so (and at boot). That'd keep your clock accurate
    > with less net bandwidth and resource usage.

    Big reason #1: ntpdate is deprecated and may be removed at any point in the
    future - see http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-s-config.htm for details.

    Big reason #2: ntpdate doesn't guarantee a monotonically increasing system
    time (translation: it may set the clock backwards). Unix systems don't
    like that.

    Big reason #3: ntpd only queries remote servers when it believes the local
    time might have drifted by more than an acceptable amount. If you have a
    very stable clock, then it will ask for the time fairly rarely. A cron job
    knows nothing about this: it asks once per configured time unit, whether
    the local clock is likely to be dead accurate or has already slipped far
    out of sync.

    Big reason #4: if everyone put "0 * * * * ntpdate ntp.example.com" in their
    crontab, then once an hour ntp.example.com gets hammered. This also means
    that those answers are likely to be far more delayed (and therefore
    inaccurate) then they are during the rest of the hour. Besides, the
    ntp.example.com admins would hate you.

    --
    Kirk Strauser

    • Re: Set your system clock
      ... I don't see any reason not to just turn off ntpd and let ... >> cron run ntpdate every hour or so. ... >> clock accurate with less net bandwidth and resource usage. ... versions of ntpd do in fact call ntpdate to do that one time crash ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: ntp problem
      ... I set my server time to NTP server using the command ntpdate but when I ... to keep the time connected to NTP after the restart? ... posters clock setting is borked. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Can sychronize with a slightyly different NTP versios
      ... minutes to get in sync with itself. ... sync since it is querying time from its OWN clock. ... Do you have any idea what ntpdate ... run ntpdate against a system running ntpd but on your own system you ...
      (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
    • Re: Time and date stamping
      ... The reason was that if the picture just showed someone ... > breaking in, then it would be hard to defend in court. ... > example, is the clock accurate? ... If the clock for some reason ...
    • Re: ntpdate problem
      ... It's a bad habit you should try and cure yourself of. ... Also, it doesn't account for the natural clock drift of your system, ... is not a complete substitute for running ntpdate at startup. ... ntpd to make a large correction, but it doesn't block the boot sequence ...
      (freebsd-questions)