Problems running jackd as non root user

From: stan (stanb_at_panix.com)
Date: 02/28/05

    Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:29:24 -0500
    To: Debian User List <debian-user@lists.debian.org>

    I'm trying to get ardour running. It requires jackd, and also requires that
    jackd be run as the same user it is to be run as.

    I've built a new 2.6.10 kernel using kernel-package, installed it and biited.
    The I downloaded teh realtime-lsm source package built it and modprobed the
    resultant module. Yhis seemed to go OK. I used:

    modprobe realtime gid=29. Now lsomd shows the modules as loaded:

    stan@yogi:/usr/share/doc/kernel-package$ lsmod | grep real
    realtime 4752 0
    commoncap 5504 1 realtime

    But if I try to start jackd with:

    jackstart --realtime --driver=alsa

    I get the following:

    jackstart: cannot get realtime capabilities, current capabilities are:
               =ep cap_setpcap-ep
                       probably running under a kernel with capabilities disabled,
                       a suitable kernel would have printed something like "=eip"

    Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

    --
    U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote - Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong Terror
    - New York Times 9/3/1967

    • realtime priority for subspawned process
      ... I want to have a realtime priority for the particular daemon process launched from X11 application. ... Daemon is: jackd and app is: audio/ardour. ... Previous ardour versionallowed me to go well with sox but no more for now. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: cant start jack
      ... way up when I add an input source, ... Also, when launching Rosegarden 'as root!!!', Rosegarden starts jackd ... Without root privileges neither ... qjackctl realtime behavior nor Rosegarden starting jackd in realtime mode ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)