alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

From: Steven Anderson (hikenboot_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 03/16/05

    Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:41:43 -0800 (PST)
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    Hello All!

    I finally got the sound to compile and install ok. I
    used the following driver:

    Sound Blaster LS
    Sound Blaster Live 24bit SB0310
    P17 Details (ca0106) [ANio] [MIDIio]

    Unfortunately when I try and use the sound either thru
    desktop sounds or thru playing a dvd, I get terrible
    hissing, and crackling sounds and the audio is barely
    audible some times and at other times I cant here
    anything. Giggling the mouse causes the noise to grow
    louder but is not consistently altering the noise so I
    am not sure if this is a clue or not.

    My audio card is a sound blaster live 24 bit and am
    running on a dell optiplex GX1.

    Thanks in advance for further help with this issue.

    Regards,

    Steven Anderson