alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

From: Steven Anderson (hikenboot_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 03/16/05

    Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:41:43 -0800 (PST)
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    Hello All!

    I finally got the sound to compile and install ok. I
    used the following driver:

    Sound Blaster LS
    Sound Blaster Live 24bit SB0310
    P17 Details (ca0106) [ANio] [MIDIio]

    Unfortunately when I try and use the sound either thru
    desktop sounds or thru playing a dvd, I get terrible
    hissing, and crackling sounds and the audio is barely
    audible some times and at other times I cant here
    anything. Giggling the mouse causes the noise to grow
    louder but is not consistently altering the noise so I
    am not sure if this is a clue or not.

    My audio card is a sound blaster live 24 bit and am
    running on a dell optiplex GX1.

    Thanks in advance for further help with this issue.

    Regards,

    Steven Anderson

    • Re: How powerful C64 may have been if it used an 8 Mhz 8088 or 68008 microprocessor (with otherwise
      ... wasn't good until the Sound Blaster Pro. ... The 9919 has 3 tone generators and a noise generator. ... produces 3 fixed white noises and 3 fixed periodic noises. ...
      (comp.sys.cbm)
    • Re: Best ISA soundcard ?
      ... > complaint I had was the noise that came off of the built in stereo amp, ... > found a few nice cards based on the Crystal CS4231A IC, ... try the Sound Blaster AWE-64 Gold if you can find ... they lack the onboard amp entirely to reduce noise and have just RCA ...
      (sci.electronics.repair)
    • Re: quietest desktop Dell
      ... Why did you choose to buy a sound blaster ... audio card while the spec calls for a 7.1 ... say I have a 5.1 home theater system and another sterio could I treat ...
      (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
    • Re: Audio sync problems in Live TV
      ... Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP ... >I have the same problem with a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 zs. ... >> Do you have a Sound Blaster audio card installed? ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)