made rpm package, broke dpkg

From: Pollywog (linux-debian_at_shadypond.com)
Date: 03/25/05

    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 22:23:59 +0000

    I made an rpm of dpkg for another system and an unexpected thing happened.
    Checkinstall actually installed the rpm package I made and now when I use dpkg
    I get:

    dpkg: failed to open package info file `/usr/lib/db/status' for reading: No
    such file or directory

    I will probably need to reinstall Debian, but is there a way around that?
    I should have known this would happen, but I guess I did not think enough
    before trying to make the rpm (it was for another system, not this one).

    8)

    --
    sp@mtr@p: croak@shadypond.com

    • Re: [opensuse] building RPMs
      ... The "make install" procedure has some obvious drawbacks you might have ... of your system (RPM database) is a problem, ... checkinstall is a useful tool but has also some drawbacks. ... RPM package on your local system which can then be installed. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: problem installing Sendmail
      ... >That's the difference between rpm and deb. ... >dpkg runs the uninstall script that arrived when you installed it. ... rpm packages can have scripts to run at install time, ... If fact, I think that since rpm lacks few features of dpkg, and has some ...
      (Debian-User)
    • [slightly OT] rpm Vs deb [Was: Re: Moblin is dead, Fedora on netbooks?]
      ... Moblin and Maemo are merging to produce one project using the best bits ... out on the MeeGo mailing list by current Maemo community members who are partial ... ...rpm has dependency issues ... ... ...rpm is slower than dpkg ... ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Ive finally snapped
      ... The RPM Package Manager looks after .rpm files and their installation. ... Apt is merely a convenient and powerful command-line front-end for dpkg. ...
      (uk.comp.os.linux)
    • Re: Installing a single .deb file
      ... >> Assuming filename has no uninstalled dependencies. ... Like dpkg, it performs no dependency checking or resolution. ... > with rpm. ... grave, Hades, hell-fire, hot place, infernal regions, inferno, limbo, ...
      (Debian-User)