Bind9 on Stable: SERVFAIL

From: Bill Moseley (
Date: 04/05/05

    Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 16:17:11 -0700

    Over the last week or two I'm seeing a lot of failures trying to
    lookup Anyone else seeing this? I have only seen it
    with google, but I do use google often. It clears up after a while
    only later to fail again.

        $ dig

        ; <<>> DiG 9.2.2-P3 <<>>
        ;; global options: printcmd
        ;; Got answer:
        ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 14764
        ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

        ; IN A

        ;; Query time: 1 msec
        ;; SERVER:
        ;; WHEN: Mon Apr 4 15:54:21 2005
        ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 32

    I asked about this on the bind9 list but was quickly chastised for
    running such an old version of bind.

    Bill Moseley
    To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to

    • Re: name to ip
      ... > I found a website that provides reverse lookup. ... > address bar and surf to google. ... There are no rules which REQUIRE a PTR record in DNS. ...
    • /etc/hosts file
      ... It looks as though the DNS server of my ISP at times fails to do the right lookup for, and then I can't get through to Google. ...
    • Re: Hmm - heres a topic to spark off a nice social commentary thread..
      ... djheydt@xxxxxxxxxxx (Dorothy J Heydt) wrote, ... Go to Google, click Groups, click Advanced Search, and paste the ... next to the label that says "Lookup the message ...
    • Re: News links
      ... when you start (only GG's silly long hex message number, ... If you use Google Advanced Groups Search and put the MID into the box for ... sent to Google. ... It's also what you get if you set up Google's 'Lookup the ...
    • Re: /etc/hosts file
      ... Of course the way out is to specify an alternate, working lookup for Google in /etc/hosts. ...