Re: Modprobe error

From: Robert Storey (y2kbug_at_ms25.hinet.net)
Date: 04/05/05

    Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 07:57:39 +0800
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    Dear RituRaj,

    Modprobe won't load the driver if the device isn't present. And yes, it will report the error. Important: you should only type "modprobe ips" rather than "modprobe ips.o". Since I'm using a 2.6 kernel, my error message is different from yours, but similar:

       root@sonic:~# modprobe ips
       FATAL: Error inserting ips (/lib/modules/2.6.10-kanotix-8/kernel/drivers/scsi/ips.ko): No such device

    As a footnote, you might want to know that on 2.6.x kernel, the modules have been renamed to end with *.ko rather than *.o, though again this makes no different since you don't use the extension with the modprobe command.

    cheers,
    Robert