Re: 4-port NICs?

From: Michelle Konzack (linux4michelle_at_freenet.de)
Date: 04/08/05

    Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 13:27:15 +0200
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    Am 2005-04-08 11:57:52, schrieb Dave Ewart:
    > On Wednesday, 06.04.2005 at 18:59 +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
    >
    > > Am 2005-04-05 17:22:57, schrieb Dave Ewart:
    > >
    > > > To follow up my own post, I'm referring specifically to the "Intel
    > > > PWLA 8494MT Pro/1000MT Quad Port Server Gbit (Copper) Network Card"
    > >
    > > Yes and it works perfectly with WOODY and Linux 2.4.27
    > >
    > > BUT (!!!) thesa cards NEED PCI-X Slots (64Bit with a minimum of 66MHz)
    > >
    > > PCI-X with 33MHz can not handel this traffic.
    >
    > Actually, what you write here doesn't tie up with
    > http://support.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-009221.htm which suggests
    > that the card will work on 32-bit and 64-bit slots, at 33, 66, 100 and
    > 133 speeds.

    Rigth it works but ther is no information about the SPEED !!!
    The Web site tell you, it is COMPATIBLE with standard PCI 33MHz.

    > I'm not planning on using the card to do 'multiple concurrent network
    > channels' from one system to another, but rather as a router/firewall
    > system, so very little network traffic will actually go to the local
    > system: it'll be 'in one interface and out on another interface' ...

    The the card is OverKill !
    I am using a Quad VIA-Card (via-rhine) for 95 US$ (Website is in .LV)
    and it give me around the MAXIMUM performance on all 4 Ethernet Ports.

    I think, it was on <debian-isp> where I had asked for 2 (?) month.

    Because I have a Client which need 20 Networks I have used it there.

    Right, none of my Clients has 100 MBit paraleltraffic on ALL NICs.

    The Router is an AsusTek A7V600-X with 256 MByte of memory and an
    AMD Sempron 2200+ with 5 4port VIA-NICs.

    You should think about it.

    Oh yes, my private Network has a 3Com Superstack III with 4 Ports
    GigaBit and 24 Ports 10/100, whete my Internet connection is on a
    10/100 and my Multimedia- and Devel-Station, my File- and SQL-Server
    are on the GigaBit Ports.

    All other internal servers and Workststions are on the 10/100 MBit too.

    For most networks, there is realy no need to install GigaBit NICs on
    the Router. Except you have an internet connection STM-1 or bigger...

    > Dave.

    Greetings
    Michelle

                       50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi