Re: 4-port NICs?

From: Michelle Konzack (linux4michelle_at_freenet.de)
Date: 04/08/05

    Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 13:27:15 +0200
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    Am 2005-04-08 11:57:52, schrieb Dave Ewart:
    > On Wednesday, 06.04.2005 at 18:59 +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
    >
    > > Am 2005-04-05 17:22:57, schrieb Dave Ewart:
    > >
    > > > To follow up my own post, I'm referring specifically to the "Intel
    > > > PWLA 8494MT Pro/1000MT Quad Port Server Gbit (Copper) Network Card"
    > >
    > > Yes and it works perfectly with WOODY and Linux 2.4.27
    > >
    > > BUT (!!!) thesa cards NEED PCI-X Slots (64Bit with a minimum of 66MHz)
    > >
    > > PCI-X with 33MHz can not handel this traffic.
    >
    > Actually, what you write here doesn't tie up with
    > http://support.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-009221.htm which suggests
    > that the card will work on 32-bit and 64-bit slots, at 33, 66, 100 and
    > 133 speeds.

    Rigth it works but ther is no information about the SPEED !!!
    The Web site tell you, it is COMPATIBLE with standard PCI 33MHz.

    > I'm not planning on using the card to do 'multiple concurrent network
    > channels' from one system to another, but rather as a router/firewall
    > system, so very little network traffic will actually go to the local
    > system: it'll be 'in one interface and out on another interface' ...

    The the card is OverKill !
    I am using a Quad VIA-Card (via-rhine) for 95 US$ (Website is in .LV)
    and it give me around the MAXIMUM performance on all 4 Ethernet Ports.

    I think, it was on <debian-isp> where I had asked for 2 (?) month.

    Because I have a Client which need 20 Networks I have used it there.

    Right, none of my Clients has 100 MBit paraleltraffic on ALL NICs.

    The Router is an AsusTek A7V600-X with 256 MByte of memory and an
    AMD Sempron 2200+ with 5 4port VIA-NICs.

    You should think about it.

    Oh yes, my private Network has a 3Com Superstack III with 4 Ports
    GigaBit and 24 Ports 10/100, whete my Internet connection is on a
    10/100 and my Multimedia- and Devel-Station, my File- and SQL-Server
    are on the GigaBit Ports.

    All other internal servers and Workststions are on the 10/100 MBit too.

    For most networks, there is realy no need to install GigaBit NICs on
    the Router. Except you have an internet connection STM-1 or bigger...

    > Dave.

    Greetings
    Michelle

                       50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi

    • Re: Very slow network - Ubuntu
      ... slowed down considerably since I installed Ubuntu Dapper I ... Win2k KIDPC on the same home network that do not have ... and your internet connection, for the purposes of this message I will assume that your local LAN speed vastly exceeds the speed of your internet connection and you are using at least 100Mb ethernet. ... My Internet connection speed is only 1Mbps My internet download speeds range ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Routers, switches & network speed?
      ... IT department claims "our network doesn't do 1G, ... cards can also drop down to 100BT and 10BT speeds - that is to say the ... I presume the systems are rather newer than the switch? ... signal coming-in on port port and "repeat it" out all the other ports. ...
      (comp.dcom.lans.ethernet)
    • Problem connecting to SQL Server over the internet
      ... I have opened ports 1433 and 1434 on a SQL Server on our network to allow ... SQL Server does not exist or access denied. ... have the TCP/IP protocol enabled in the Client Network Utility on Port 1433. ... So I am at a loss to figure out why the Internet connection is not working ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.connect)
    • Re: 2 pc network - cant see host files from pc 2 on pc 1
      ... Assuming that you have firewall protection via your internet router try ... workgroup because it will be needed for the network to work correctly. ... see if you can access TCP ports 139 and 445 on computer one of which at ... permissions. ...
    • Re: PC Tools Firewall Question
      ... So, it's to be assumed that the two machines that are connected to your router, the LAN or Local Area Network, are never to share resources or network between the two, which are the ports you're blocking below with the PFW. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)