Gtk-WARNING: cannot open display

From: David A. Jenkins (david_at_riverbed.ca)
Date: 04/08/05

    Date: Fri,  8 Apr 2005 14:52:38 -0400
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    bah! k... so I've just installed a Debian 3 system on my OldWorld PPC box. no
    problems so far, until i wanted to install an X window system. i installed
    xserver-xfree86, xfonts-base, xfce, xserver-common, and a couple other font
    related packages. if i type "X" at the command prompt i get a checker screen
    with an X cursor. i don't seem to be able to do anything, though. when I type
    "xfce" at the command promt I get "Gtk-WARNING ***: cannot open display"

    little help?

    btw, i am using root, not a normal user account. i prefer not to have normal
    user accounts (as I am the only user).

    thanks.

    -David

    • Re: local user get created magically ! system hacked ?
      ... I use about a hundred fedora19 stations in computer labs at our school ... However, recently I noticed that on some stations, local user account ... the first boot after a fresh install. ... firstboot never asked for the root password as ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: local user get created magically ! system hacked ?
      ... I use about a hundred fedora19 stations in computer labs at our school ... However, recently I noticed that on some stations, local user account ... the first boot after a fresh install. ... firstboot never asked for the root password as ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Windows XP Updates...
      ... I did everything, by the way, but anything I tried to install couldn't be ... into Windows Security Centreand it says that Automatic Updates is ... I don't know how to manually update Windows either. ... adware and other malware (since the active user account does not ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • Re: Help in Changing User info, Please help
      ... >> the Windows CD he used to install XP home edition, so Im not sure how or if I ... > a possibility that you don't have a valid license to use WinXP. ... > original owner downloaded/installed viruses or other malware. ... even if the associated user account has been. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)