Gtk-WARNING: cannot open display

From: David A. Jenkins (david_at_riverbed.ca)
Date: 04/08/05

    Date: Fri,  8 Apr 2005 14:52:38 -0400
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    bah! k... so I've just installed a Debian 3 system on my OldWorld PPC box. no
    problems so far, until i wanted to install an X window system. i installed
    xserver-xfree86, xfonts-base, xfce, xserver-common, and a couple other font
    related packages. if i type "X" at the command prompt i get a checker screen
    with an X cursor. i don't seem to be able to do anything, though. when I type
    "xfce" at the command promt I get "Gtk-WARNING ***: cannot open display"

    little help?

    btw, i am using root, not a normal user account. i prefer not to have normal
    user accounts (as I am the only user).

    thanks.

    -David