USB drive keeps becoming "Read-only file system"

From: Hannuman Bull (hannuman_at_bullwebsystems.com)
Date: 04/11/05

    Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:06:27 -0400
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    I have a USB/Firewire external SeaGate 400 GB hard drive. I'm using it
    with BackupPC to make backups of 7 computers on my network. I have been
    unable to get a single network backup completed. During the backup, I
    notice a change in sound from the hd and the gkrellm monitor for sdb
    goes flatline.

    The "mount" commands shows the drive is still online:
        /dev/sdb1 on /var/lib/backuppc type ext3 (rw)

    When I "ls" the directory, I get nothing.

    When I try to write to the directory (ex. "touch test.txt"), I get:
        touch: cannot touch `test.txt': Read-only file system

    After typing "dmesg", I get a few pages of errors related to the drive.
    I've included the first few and last lines below:

    usb 5-1: reset high speed USB device using address 2
    usb 5-1: control timeout on ep0in
    usb 5-1: device not accepting address 2, error -71
    scsi: Device offlined - not ready after error recovery: host 2 channel 0
    id 0 lun 0
    SCSI error : <2 0 0 0> return code = 0x50000
    end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 321979695
    scsi2 (0:0): rejecting I/O to offline device
    scsi2 (0:0): rejecting I/O to offline device
    usb 5-1: USB disconnect, address 2
    EXT3-fs error (device sdb1): ext3_readdir: directory #2 contains a hole
    at offset 0
    Aborting journal on device sdb1.
    scsi2 (0:0): rejecting I/O to device being removed
    Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 47594577
    lost page write due to I/O error on sdb1
    scsi2 (0:0): rejecting I/O to device being removed
    Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 47595496
    lost page write due to I/O error on sdb1
    EXT3-fs error (device sdb1): ext3_readdir: directory #2 contains a hole
    at offset 0
    scsi2 (0:0): rejecting I/O to dead device
    EXT3-fs error (device sdb1): ext3_readdir: directory #2 contains a hole
    at offset 0
    scsi2 (0:0): rejecting I/O to dead device
    EXT3-fs error (device sdb1): ext3_readdir: directory #2 contains a hole
    at offset 0

    I've switched between the firewire and usb, but still get the same
    symptoms.

    I'm using udev with the following /etc/fstab entry:
    /dev/ext-hd_sg400 /var/lib/backuppc ext3 defaults 0 0

    Debian Sarge
    Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-2-686-smp
    Intel P4 3.4 GHz with Hyperthreading

    I don't know what else to try. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Hannuman