Re: SCSI, ATAPI and burners [SOLVED]

From: Jim Hall (volunteer_at_revealed.net)
Date: 04/19/05

    Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:51:03 -0500
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    Jim Hall wrote:
    > Bill Day wrote:
    >
    >> When I did my original Woody installation I too had that problem, but
    >> with the installation of sarge and a 2.6 kernel I no longer had to add
    >> scsi emulation for my burner in lilo.conf or in grubs menu.1st.
    >>
    >> I suggest upgrading yoru kernel to a proper 2.6.x kernel for your
    >> arch, you will still have the option to boot the old kernel while you
    >> work out any bugs you may have with the new kernel(as long as your
    >> /boot is large enough), another one of my mistakes. I know better
    >> now, and have a /boot of 450MB, with plenty of room to play with new
    >> kernels. 8-)
    >>
    >> HTH

    >>> Since I used the default 2.4 kernel, I can only use a 2.6 kernel on this
    >>> system if it's fairly safe (repeat: safe) to switch.

    >>> I wasn't considering actual future SCSI devices or reinstallation, only
    >>> the posibility that if I had said yes to the SCSI option when I
    >>> installed, I wouldn't be asking this question now.
    >>>
    >>> Jim
    >>

    > I should be able to get on the system in question this weekend. I'll
    > check out what's been suggested and run some experiments. I'll post back
    > the results early next week.
    >
    > Jim

    Sorry for the delay. I finally got to work on this system. I used a
    Knoppix v3.6 CD with the 2.6 kernel. I burned the Knoppix v3.7 iso
    perfectly. The 2.6 kernel appears to be the way to go. /boot is 118MB,
    so that looks OK.

    Another problem solved,
    Jim

    • bug in kernel (I think): 2.6.15 to 2.6.17 and 3c59x driver
      ... I'm unsure whether this is kernel or driver? ... I've been using Knoppix for some time and they have worked great. ... kernel issue, so I installed Debian 3.0 on machine from the Woody DVD ... Should I report it as kernel or driver? ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: booting from ISO image on HD?
      ... You still have to boot your kernel or its bootloader, ... I get the idea - your boss wants you to package a knoppix image for ... booting from harddisk as a single drop-in lump/package on disk. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: 2.4.30 & 2.4.32 kernel comple error
      ... Or is trying to compile for an older machine on a newer ... Age of the box is one thing: Age of the gcc, glibc, existing kernel ... I'm running debian 3.1 on the pentium machine, and DSL (knoppix) on ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)
    • Re: booten vom nas
      ... SD-Karte im Kartenleser oder über Netzwerkboot ... Das könnte aber bei Knoppix der Fall sein, ... initrd und grub ist auf dem rechner. ... Du brauchst aber Kernel und initrd von der Distribution, ...
      (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
    • Re: Could somebody PLEASE help with an Alsa problem?
      ... Debian Testing up to date as of today. ... Kernel 2.6.22.6 plus alsa modules ... Knoppix v5 live CD it all works properly. ... That might be some sort of kernel latency or USB throughput problem. ...
      (Debian-User)