What to do when the lists just can't help me

From: Rob Brenart (TT) (Rob.Brenart_at_tradingtechnologies.com)
Date: 04/28/05

    Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:55:43 -0500
    To: "debian users" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>

    I have a thinkpad, I've gotten Debian almost perfectly going on it.

    I, however, am continually frustrated by the sound systems in Linux.
    Right now my sound situation is that it works with my 2.6.10 kernel
    (which has a clock bug in it, so that's not great) but doesn't work at
    all with my 2.6.11 kernel

    I've tried this list, to no avail.

    Even in 2.6.10, I can't get sound to work with wine. The wine people had
    all sorts of helpful advice, but nothing worked out.

    So... google, the applicable lists, and IRC just aren't working for me.

    Now what? I live in Chicago, so I'm hoping geography won't limit me...
    but where do I go if I decide I'm willing to pay for someone to just do
    it? Is there a network of computer professionals that can help with this
    sort of thing, specifically in Debian?

    All my coworkers/friends are no help because, like me, their usage of
    linux is mostly for servers or to get real work done, so the sound
    system rarely means that much to anyone. And a minimal amount of
    thinking about where to go for assistance makes me think of either for
    pay services that will probably fidget a lot when they don't see a
    windows login, and a bunch of linux consultants who mostly tune
    databases and setup firewalls and the like.

    Curious, thanks.

    • Re: What to do when the lists just cant help me
      ... > I, however, am continually frustrated by the sound systems in Linux. ... > Right now my sound situation is that it works with my 2.6.10 kernel ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: WARNING to potential LINUX users
      ... And I did not ask specificly for linux supported hardware, ... IDE CD-ROMS or DVD drives all ... > the sound events were turned on and the mixer showed volume was maximum ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: WARNING to potential LINUX users
      ... > audio which is not supported by linux. ... >> The very first thing I noticed was that there was NO SOUND even though ... >>started over with SuSE. ... So much for installing right out of the box on ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • [OT]: Substitute VMS for Linux in this article
      ... Linux problems, including claims that sound isn't that important in business ... Rick Spencer on the general issue of Linux hardware support: ... As an analogy, say you worked for Coca-Cola since Windows 95 came out, say ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: Well, Windows is back on the disk.
      ... >>>There's just some programs not working with sound at all. ... But that puts me even further and further away from Ubuntu, ... >>>And yet, using Windows XP the past three years on this laptop, ... >>i still don't get the point in trying ubuntu (linux), ...
      (Ubuntu)