migrating from RedHat to Debian without losing configuration

From: Moritz Lennert (mlennert_at_club.worldonline.be)
Date: 05/02/05

    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 14:23:28 +0000 (UTC)

    Hello,

    We are planning on migrating a few machines from RedHat to Debian and were
    wondering whether there exists some way of reusing the red hat configuration
    files for the Debian configuration. In other words, can a new Debian install
    take over the information in config files for samba, nfs, /etc/passwd, etc., in
    order to avoid having to reconfigure everything manually ?

    Any pointers to relevant info or programmes are more than welcome.

    Thanks,

    Moritz

    • Re: Problem with external monitor
      ... This is about backports, you're still on pure wheezy (as far as you told ... Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers: ... That still did not detect the external monitor, ... did not go through the configuration process, ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: [Apache] "Deny" directives silently ignored in config files [SOLVED]
      ... package (Debian Squeeze). ... "Deny from XXX" directives were correctly taken into ... I did find the guilty lines in the configuration file: ... I tried disabling .htaccess files on the server, ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: which MTA to choose for a simple client?
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: What are some common problems when using Debian GNU / =?UTF-8?Q?LINUX=3F?=
      ... Please provide some examples of common problems when using Debian GNU ... Forums are a good starting point to gather informations, they often contain solutions, and the fun point is that you do not need to limit yourself to debian forums. ... When I have switched from windows to debian, I thought that separating software configurations from their resources from their binaries... ... But when you become used to this, you think the windows' way is wrong, since it does not allow, by example, to save and restore system's configuration as easily. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: why debian
      ... I don't think what scares people away from Debian is the visual polish ... It's the deeper configuration stuff that is ... my X configuration file and add "1024x768". ... another scsi on my computer. ...
      (Debian-User)