Re: AMD cooling utility in debian

From: Dennis Stosberg (lists_at_stosberg.net)
Date: 05/09/05

    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 12:55:41 +0200

    Am Montag, 9. Mai 2005 12:27 schrieb Wackojacko:

    > How do you change which governor it uses though. I have
    > recently compiled my own kernel with the 'userspace' governor
    > set as default and compiled the ondemand governor into the
    > kernel, but I'm not sure its made any difference. Any help would
    > be appreciated.

    If you want to use the kernel policies, look at the files
    in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq.

    You can see which governors are available:

      $ cat scaling_available_governors
      ondemand userspace performance

    Also which governor is currently active:

      $ cat scaling_governor
      performance

    And of course you can change the active govenor:

      $ echo -n ondemand > scaling_governor
      $ cat scaling_governor
      ondemand

    Alternatively, you can use a userspace program like cpufreqd or
    powernowd to control the frequency. This allows much finer
    control, based on user-definable rules, battery status, a/c
    status, time, ...

    Regards,
    Dennis

    --
    Send personal mail to dennis@... only.  Off-list
    mails to lists@stosberg.net will not reach me.

    • [Announce] cpufreq-bench
      ... inspired by Rafaels talk about covering kernel code for regression ... governor, Christian produced this IMO excellent micro code benchmark. ... Identify average reaction time of a governor to CPU load changes ... Example of expected results with ondemand governor: ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Available speed governors for Athlon64
      ... I don't know what ondemand is. ... > ondemand is in the 2.6.9 kernel, ... > governor does a periodic polling and changes frequency based on the CPU ...
      (comp.os.linux.hardware)
    • Re: Do I need AMD Athlon 64 CoolnQuiet Driver for Linux?
      ... autodetect and load the driver itself. ... that came from Debian's apt-get (don't compile my own Kernel). ... that lets you change the governor and the frequency if you want. ... I switch between ondemand and usermode. ...
      (comp.os.linux.hardware)
    • Re: Available speed governors for Athlon64
      ... In the kernel configuration the performance, ... powersave and ondemand performance governors have all been ... >> ondemand to the file but it reverts to just userspace performance. ... >> particularly useful power governor. ...
      (comp.os.linux.hardware)
    • Re: Available speed governors for Athlon64
      ... In the kernel configuration the performance, ... powersave and ondemand performance governors have all been ... > lists only performance and userspace. ... > ondemand to the file but it reverts to just userspace performance. ...
      (comp.os.linux.hardware)