Re: default-display-manager

From: Stephen R Laniel (steve_at_laniels.org)
Date: 05/12/05

    Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 15:57:01 -0400
    To: jonny dennis <dr_giz@yahoo.co.uk>

    On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 08:43:37PM +0100, jonny dennis wrote:
    > Ive got a debian proxy running gnome, I commented out
    > the line /usr/bin/gdm with a # then when i rebooted
    > the machine it wont startx it just hangs and i have to
    > go to another console and kill the process. can anyone
    > help? any suggestions most apreciated

    Is there any reason why you wouldn't just uninstall all the
    graphical stuff like gdm and kdm? If you're never going to
    use those things, you can just do an

    sudo apt-get remove kdm gdm xserver-xfree86

    and that will take care of a lot of that for you. (You end
    up having to delete lots of other stuff, like OpenOffice or
    whatnot, but the line above will get you started.)

    Now, to make sure that gdm or kdm don't run when you boot is
    actually much easier. First install the rcconf package
    (apt-get install rcconf), then 'sudo rcconf'. You'll see a
    list of daemons that run when you boot. Among them is
    probably gdm. Go down to that item on the list and make sure
    that it's deselected; use the spacebar to deselect.

    It might be worthwhile to read about the /etc/rc*.d system
    if you don't already know about it. Lots of daemons sit in
    /etc/init.d/, and they get symlinked into /etc/rc*.d
    depending upon where in the boot order they're supposed to
    load. rcconf handles this symlinking for you.

    Cheers,
    Steve

    --
    Stephen R. Laniel