Re: CVS checkout behind firewall proxy

From: Roberto C. Sanchez (roberto_at_familiasanchez.net)
Date: 05/29/05

    Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 08:57:54 -0400
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 03:46:02PM +0300, Alphonse Ogulla wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'm trying to do a cvs checkout from a debian beast on the company
    > network but get the error.
    >
    > cvs [login aborted]: connect to cvs.digium.com(66.250.69.240):2401
    > failed: No route to host
    >
    > I'm connected to the internet via a proxy firewall. Does this imply
    > specific ports required by cvs are closed? Can cvs use the http port
    > number? How else can I get to use cvs from behind a firewall? I've
    > read about cvs-proxy but it seems to do a totally different thing.
    > Shall appreciate your assitance.

    Get the admins to open that port. Seriously. If you need access to
    servers on that port for work-related functions you should be able to
    make a case for it. The problem with proxying the way you are talking
    about is that you need to someone listening on port 80 outside your
    network that then translates the traffic over to port 2401. That poses
    some risks for whoever proxies for you since they either need to
    authenticate you or take some other measure to restrict the flow of
    traffic to trusted individuals.

    The other possibility is to see if the site you are trying to download
    from offers anonymous CVS over SSH. This has the advantage that port 22
    is usually not blocked.

    Of not, you could always email the developers, explain your situation
    and see if they will post a recent CVS snapshot to their webpage or
    email you the tarball.

    -Roberto

    --
    Roberto C. Sanchez
    http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr

    • Re: aide 0.9, anybody
      ... Rami, on freebsd-security I reported problems getting aide-0.9 to ... submitted a port for aide-0.9. ... mostly on the CVS version. ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: Survey question re sourceforge & cvs
      ... Now how many of you have used the current fc6 version of cvs ... traceroutes to sourceforge are delayed many seconds at the ... Yeah, sure, it's right in the TOS that port 80 is blocked. ... not on outbound connections - there is a differentiation called source ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: CVS removal from the base
      ... the ports tree only has the "latest" version or two; ... So it's entirely possible the "CVS" port maintainer updates the port ... And then we lose a whole lot of what public "good" opinion FreeBSD ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Re: Survey question re sourceforge & cvs
      ... Gene Heskett wrote: ... Now how many of you have used the current fc6 version of cvs ... via cvs commands since each setup is different. ... Yeah, sure, it's right in the TOS that port 80 is blocked. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: how to make app "networkable" ?
      ... > methodology for making an application networkable? ... The easie'st way to go is to use an existing protocol which fits ... A common network architecture is to have a central controller ... it sounds like you want to use CVS:) It is per-file ...
      (comp.programming)