Re: Unable to properly install 2 packages

From: J.F.Gratton (jean-francois.gratton_at_videotron.ca)
Date: 06/01/05

    Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 21:45:31 -0400
    To: Debian-User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>

    On Tue, 2005-31-05 at 21:24 -0400, Marty wrote:
    > J.F.Gratton wrote:
    > [snip snip]
    > > Setting up guile-1.6 (1.6.7-1) ...
    > > dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute post-installation script: Exec
    > > format error
    > > dpkg: error processing guile-1.6 (--configure):
    > > subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
    >
    > That script would be /var/lib/dpkg/info/guile-1.6.postinst

    OK, here's a start. 'cept that the file looks some kind of informational
    file used by apt/dpkg, *not* a script file or anything (at the bottom of
    this message you'll have the contents of the file.

    > If it exists and is uncorrupted, then you can try to debug it manually,
    > or else just try purging the package and starting over again.

    As the file does not contain any commands, I don't see anything to
    debug.

    My question remains, then:

    > > How do I get out of the "Exec format error" ?
    > >
    > > On a related topic : is there a way to make apt "forget" a package,
    > > and/or completely purge it from the disk, its installed packages list,
    > > etc ? Just so I'd be able to reinstall it or a newer version sometime
    > > later ?
    >
    > dpkg -P <pkg-name>

    OK, OK, my question was poorly phrased :). I've been using Deb for
    now... 4-5 years, so hopefully I know about dpkg :) What I meant to ask
    is how do I completely dump a package (manually remove all traces of it)
    when apt-get remove and dpkg -P fail ? My problem with guile is not only
    when I try to install it, but also when I try to remove/purge the
    package. You see, I had a power failure when dist-upgrading my system.

    Thanks again,

    Jeff