Re: Unable to properly install 2 packages

From: J.F.Gratton (jean-francois.gratton_at_videotron.ca)
Date: 06/01/05

    Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 21:45:31 -0400
    To: Debian-User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>

    On Tue, 2005-31-05 at 21:24 -0400, Marty wrote:
    > J.F.Gratton wrote:
    > [snip snip]
    > > Setting up guile-1.6 (1.6.7-1) ...
    > > dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute post-installation script: Exec
    > > format error
    > > dpkg: error processing guile-1.6 (--configure):
    > > subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
    >
    > That script would be /var/lib/dpkg/info/guile-1.6.postinst

    OK, here's a start. 'cept that the file looks some kind of informational
    file used by apt/dpkg, *not* a script file or anything (at the bottom of
    this message you'll have the contents of the file.

    > If it exists and is uncorrupted, then you can try to debug it manually,
    > or else just try purging the package and starting over again.

    As the file does not contain any commands, I don't see anything to
    debug.

    My question remains, then:

    > > How do I get out of the "Exec format error" ?
    > >
    > > On a related topic : is there a way to make apt "forget" a package,
    > > and/or completely purge it from the disk, its installed packages list,
    > > etc ? Just so I'd be able to reinstall it or a newer version sometime
    > > later ?
    >
    > dpkg -P <pkg-name>

    OK, OK, my question was poorly phrased :). I've been using Deb for
    now... 4-5 years, so hopefully I know about dpkg :) What I meant to ask
    is how do I completely dump a package (manually remove all traces of it)
    when apt-get remove and dpkg -P fail ? My problem with guile is not only
    when I try to install it, but also when I try to remove/purge the
    package. You see, I had a power failure when dist-upgrading my system.

    Thanks again,

    Jeff

    • Re: Upgrade to 9.04?
      ... Running apt-get clean isn't helpful. ... only the package debs and they're not affecting your install. ... confusing the hell out of dpkg with the state your system is in. ... Launchpad seems to have found a bug, and I found a very similar ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: Debian
      ... Reading package lists... ... Reading state information... ... tools do not directly or indirectly invoke dpkg. ... Selecting previously deselected package libdvdnav4. ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: dselect refusing to upgrade packages in unstable?
      ... dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libxt-dev: ... dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libice-dev: ... Package libice6 is not installed. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: KDE 3.3.2 fails re-install [SOLVED]
      ... make sure you have all the kde components uninstalled: ... anything to do with KDE, but when I looked at it with dpkg, I found 28 ... in package kdewallpapers ... Package kdebase-data is not installed. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: KDE 3.3.2 fails re-install
      ... dpkg: error processing ... in package kdewallpapers ... dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kdebase: ... dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kde-core: ...
      (Debian-User)