Re: ALSA: no sound, no error! -- Solved

From: [KS] (lists04_at_fastmail.fm)
Date: 06/24/05

    Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 22:10:35 -0400
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    [KS] wrote:
    > Colin wrote:
    >
    >>[KS] wrote:
    >>

    >>>I did that too. After reboot, I can hear noise when I do cat
    >>>/dev/urandom > /dev/dsp. But the sound stops working as soon as I login
    >>>to KDE! I notice that after I log into KDE, I have to stop alsa, remove
    >>>the file from /var/lib/alsa and start alsa again to get sound working
    >>>again. At present, sound is working perfectly, but /var/lib/alsa has no
    >>>file in it. Does that make any sense?
    >>

    >>I'd disable KDE sounds completely. They seem to get in the way for me all
    >>the time.
    >

    > Well, I don't use all the KDE sounds that much. But the real concern is
    > why sound is not working when logging on into KDE (maybe I should also
    > check what happens when I login to Gnome). Earlier it was working fine
    > with allt he sounds in KDE if they were enabled. So I think there is
    > still something wrong which needs to be taken care of.

    After more investigation I found out that KDE was playing spoil sport.
    When I loged in with Gnome, sound worked. After that when I tried
    logging in with KDE, sound didn't work. Thus KDE login was causing some
    problem. I removed all the KDE settings from my account and tried
    logging in. Walla! Everything worked as expected. KDE login audio
    greeting was back as earlier and other sounds are working fine.

    The KDE problem has happened the second time. I have had to remove the
    KDE settings to get sound working. I am still confused as to what causes
    this corruption or when it happens.

    So, for making the sound to work I had to do the following:

    1. ~$ /etc/init.d/alsa stop
    2. ~$ rm /var/lib/alsa/asound
    3. ~$ /etc/init.d/alsa start

    4. Log out of KDE and remove all KDE settings

    Thanks to everyone who helped.

    • Re: sound stopped and now working. what happened?
      ... You still have ALSA. ... speaker-test 1.0.24.2 ... I have a bunch of kde apps and gnome installed ... KDE detected that one or more internal sound devices were removed. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: [kde-linux] How do I set the default sound card?
      ... That is all that I can think of, if the symlink is indeed ... fact that your sound cards change their name all the time. ... device from a list and want KDE to try using it when I log in. ... with playback streams. ...
      (KDE)
    • Re: sound in KDE 4.1
      ... Even tho Amarok plays music smoothly I don't get any ... The application KDE Control Module crashed and caused the ... Sound" are: HDA Intel ... HDA Intel ALC883 Digital Digital Audio Output) default ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • [kde] Re: No sound in Kubuntu 11.04
      ... I found that sound improved after I installed VLC and even the kmail sound ... I accepted a kde base lib update the other day. ... preferred output device in Kubuntu 10.04), but can't make it appear as ...