[OT] Apple will run on IBM compatible Intel pcs

From: Chris Bannister (mockingbird_at_ihug.co.nz)
Date: 07/01/05

    Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 00:20:02 +1200
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    Hi,

    Saw this posted at <http://www.isohunt.com/>:

    ___________________________________
    This is dramatic. It's been joked that hell will freeze over before
    apple will run on IBM compatible / Intel pc's,
    <http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jun/06intel.html> but it
    happened.
    <http://news.google.com/news?num=25&amp;hl=en&amp;lr=&amp;c2coff=1&amp;tab=wn&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;q=apple+x86+intel&amp;btnG=Search+News> This will mean
    faster chips and lower cost for macs, and this is good. We will have
    high performance linux on pc servers and slickly usable macs on pc
    desktop.

    This is perhaps the biggest move by Apple since OSX or the iTMS/iPods,
    and is probably the reason they rewrote the OS to run on Darwin in OSX
    (so it can compile to multiple cpus). Perhaps MacOS will finally be
    ready for the masses, if they make the PPC -> Intel app porting as easy
    as advertised and Windows app -> IntelMac porting easy too. I look
    forward to it, OSX (especially Tiger) certainly has qualities to make
    Windows nervous.

    And then there's Debian releasing a new version.
    <http://www.debian.org/News/2005/20050606>

    Is it armageddon yet?
    ___________________________________

    OK, because Debian releases a new version, doesn't mean the devil will
    go to work on ice skates :-), but apple will run on IBM compatibles?

    --
    Chris.
    ======

    • Re: Why Troll? Was Re: Petition To Change CSMA Name
      ... Why do Macintosh HATE mongers hang out in a Mac advocacy group? ... use Windows, knowing that people like them are its advocates? ... For over 20 years Apple used entirely different processors from IBM ... efficient Intel processors. ...
      (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
    • Re: The bunny suit thing at MW
      ... > 4 million Macs in 2005. ... > 3) Having committed these two acts of submission, then let Apple ignore Viiv ... "With Intel Viiv technology, you control a highly integrated Intel ... > Mac-intelatosh can run Windows software in emulation. ...
      (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
    • Re: Why Troll? Was Re: Petition To Change CSMA Name
      ... Why do Macintosh HATE mongers hang out in a Mac advocacy group? ... use Windows, knowing that people like them are its advocates? ... For over 20 years Apple used entirely different processors from IBM ... efficient Intel processors. ...
      (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
    • Re: I really do like OS X but . . .
      ... I think he was pointing out that Microsoft has to ensure backwards compatibility with the older MS-DOS based versions of Windows, which introduces a number of problems. ... Would it help if Apple had completely removed version numbers from their ... But, of course, Mac users have no choice but to upgrade... ... Intel, like they had with IBM and Freescale. ...
      (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
    • talking about egg on face...
      ... Mighty Mouse abound one would think that Apple is finally facing the ... programs coming out for Windows are now 'spyware' removers or similar, ... Mr Otellini is of course the new CEO of Intel Corp. ... go out and buy a Mac for his daughter, hell, he may even get a rebate ...
      (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)