[OT] Apple will run on IBM compatible Intel pcs

From: Chris Bannister (mockingbird_at_ihug.co.nz)
Date: 07/01/05

    Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 00:20:02 +1200
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    Hi,

    Saw this posted at <http://www.isohunt.com/>:

    ___________________________________
    This is dramatic. It's been joked that hell will freeze over before
    apple will run on IBM compatible / Intel pc's,
    <http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jun/06intel.html> but it
    happened.
    <http://news.google.com/news?num=25&amp;hl=en&amp;lr=&amp;c2coff=1&amp;tab=wn&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;q=apple+x86+intel&amp;btnG=Search+News> This will mean
    faster chips and lower cost for macs, and this is good. We will have
    high performance linux on pc servers and slickly usable macs on pc
    desktop.

    This is perhaps the biggest move by Apple since OSX or the iTMS/iPods,
    and is probably the reason they rewrote the OS to run on Darwin in OSX
    (so it can compile to multiple cpus). Perhaps MacOS will finally be
    ready for the masses, if they make the PPC -> Intel app porting as easy
    as advertised and Windows app -> IntelMac porting easy too. I look
    forward to it, OSX (especially Tiger) certainly has qualities to make
    Windows nervous.

    And then there's Debian releasing a new version.
    <http://www.debian.org/News/2005/20050606>

    Is it armageddon yet?

    OK, because Debian releases a new version, doesn't mean the devil will
    go to work on ice skates :-), but apple will run on IBM compatibles?

    --
    Chris.
    ======