Sarge Install | From floppy & DVD | Not finding hard drive or wireless

From: David Hart (
Date: 07/01/05

    Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 14:03:32 +0100

    Installing for the first time. I have Sarge on DVD, but my machine
    won't boot from them so
    using floppys. Using the boot.img, root.img and cd-drivers.img from the 1st DVD.

    Problem 1 - Does not detect my Belkin 802.11g PCI card (F5D7000).
    I will leave this until after install to fix, but it means I have no network

    The installer then insists on trying to find a mirror - of course it
    can't with no network.

    Problem 2 - In hardware detect it says it is missing a load of files:

    I then can't partition or install because it "can't find any
    partitionable drives".

    It have a feeling that I need to point the installer to the DVD rather
    than a mirror and it will find these files and install - but I just
    can't see how to do this. I know it is reading from the DVD after
    asking for the driver floppy, so it is def. mounted. Am I missing an
    installation option?

    The machine is a Dell 5000 with SATA HDD on SATA -0, CD-Rom on IDE
    (primary) and DVD writer on IDE (secondary).

    Thanks a lot,

    David Hart