Sarge Install | From floppy & DVD | Not finding hard drive or wireless

From: David Hart (david.b.hart_at_gmail.com)
Date: 07/01/05

    Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 14:03:32 +0100
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    Hi,

    Installing for the first time. I have Sarge on DVD, but my machine
    won't boot from them so
    using floppys. Using the boot.img, root.img and cd-drivers.img from the 1st DVD.

    Problem 1 - Does not detect my Belkin 802.11g PCI card (F5D7000).
    I will leave this until after install to fix, but it means I have no network

    The installer then insists on trying to find a mirror - of course it
    can't with no network.

    Problem 2 - In hardware detect it says it is missing a load of files:
    ata_piix
    ide-scsi
    ide-mod
    ide-probe-mod
    ide-generic
    ide-floppy

    I then can't partition or install because it "can't find any
    partitionable drives".

    It have a feeling that I need to point the installer to the DVD rather
    than a mirror and it will find these files and install - but I just
    can't see how to do this. I know it is reading from the DVD after
    asking for the driver floppy, so it is def. mounted. Am I missing an
    installation option?

    The machine is a Dell 5000 with SATA HDD on SATA -0, CD-Rom on IDE
    (primary) and DVD writer on IDE (secondary).

    Thanks a lot,

    David Hart

    • Re: Evo and Exchange
      ... FC3 and an upgrade from FC2 to FC3. ... I started EVO again, ... >> said was unsigned so wouldn't install it however this morning did yum update ... > DVDs are not CDs and you need different programs two write DVDs though DVD ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: IDE DVD listed as SCSI device
      ... Internal USB card reader ... install when I give the computer to them). ... The IDE DVD RW is not listed under Device Manager> ATA IDE/ATAPI. ...
    • Re: A little help please!
      ... This so far was the best map to getting DVD media working I am going to ... Also I have the latest libdvdcss2 and libdvdcss2-dev installed. ... sudo aptitude install totem-xine ... Click either free or non-free depending on where the package you ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: Seeking Help
      ... As far as I am aware, the only REAL and painless way to install Ubuntu from ... a DVD is to buy the DVD from a place such as On-Disk.com (Ric! ... There is a well known and very well respected member of this mail list who has been promoting the idea that people who are having hassles with downloading the necessary files using the internet to buy a DVD - I repeat DVD - from the site I mentioned because it contained *all* the files necessary to install Ubuntu. ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: Vista Home Basic SP1 no luck
      ... DVD, but with backup/image/restore software on the HD. ... Windows update does not remind me anymore to install SP1, ... have really been stupid to get a Vista machine. ... restoration was some sort of restoration image on the hard drive ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)