Can't get Intel 82915G on-board graphics controller to deactivate the monitor.

From: Adam Funk (a24061_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 07/28/05

    Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:26:38 +0100
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    My computer has on-board video which `lspci -v` reports as follows:

    0000:00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corp. 82915G Express Chipset Family
    Graphics Controller (rev 04)
            Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 2582
            Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
            Memory at cfe00000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
            Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2

    I tried using the i810 driver but couldn't get it to work ("No screens
    found" etc.). Using the vesa driver everything works fine *except* that
    the screen won't go blank when the computer is inactive. (I know the
    monitor is capable of handling this, since it used to do it correctly with
    a different computer and RedHat.)

    My XF86Config-4 file currently contains the following stanzas.

    Section "Device"
            Identifier "Generic Video Card"
            Driver "vesa"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
            Identifier "LA702U"
            HorizSync 30-70
            VertRefresh 60-160
            Option "DPMS" "on"
    EndSection

    I would especially appreciate any suggestions for getting this graphics card
    with the vesa driver to drop the monitor signal after a period of
    inactivity. Alternatively, I'd be interested in debugging advice for
    getting the i810 driver to work (it's supposed to be the correct one).

    http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-010512.htm

    --
    Thanks,
    Adam