rme/alsa troubles

From: Glenn English (ghe_at_slsware.com)
Date: 07/29/05

    To: debian list <debian-user@lists.debian.org>, alsa list <alsa-user@lists.sourceforge.net>
    Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:14:41 -0600

    I can't get my RME 9632 soundcard to work.

    Debian stable (sarge), Sun dual Opteron box, AMD64 smp 2.6 kernel,
    installed from "official binary DVD" (packages from 'Net).

    There was no hdspmixer or hdspconf from the install because there's no
    alsa-tools package in the new sarge (it also doesn't install the
    evolution spelling checker). Alsa-tools fetched and compiled OK, but
    they both say there's no HDSP card:

    HDSPMixer 1.6 - Copyright (C) 2003 Thomas Charbonnel <thomas@undata.org>
    This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
    HDSPMixer is free software, see the file COPYING for details

    Looking for HDSP cards :
    Card 0 :
    No Hammerfall DSP card found.

    HDSPConf 1.4 - Copyright (C) 2003 Thomas Charbonnel <thomas@undata.org>
    This program comes WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
    HDSPConf is free software, see the file copying for details

    Looking for HDSP cards :
    Card 0 : …Ҹt
    No Hammerfall DSP card found.

    Neither one can find it, but they print different garbage for Card 0.
    The garbage seems to be consistent, though, if that means anything.

    The HOWTOs I've been able to find talk about 2.4 kernels. The card works
    under DeMuDi, and I had it going in the Gentoo days. There's a /dev/dsp,
    but without running hdspmixer, it's going to be muted. If there's really
    anything there...

    Any suggestions? HOWTO URLs?

    What I'm really looking for is an explanation of how ALSA works (and
    what's been done to Debianize it) -- I'd like to understand it. But
    magic incantations would do for the time being.

    --
    Glenn English
    ghe@slsware.com

    • Re: redhat vs debian
      ... I think maybe in terms of video games Linux is week, ... I have UT 2003 and did successfully install it on my RH linux box. ... Finally I switched back the original video card and rebooted. ... monitor and the gforce card. ...
      (linux.redhat)
    • RE: For MS - my experience building a Mediacenter PC
      ... card. ... install the OS and it installed the 1st CD asked for the 2nd and then asked ... directed me to Compatible Hardware for Windows XP (not media center). ... I start Media Center and I get the message that I need a DVD decoder to play ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
    • Re: Thinking of installing myself...
      ... You'll find some folks who install for a living insist that no one ... Watch your credit card with this scammer. ... components from Robert in the last few months. ... recently begun to pursue alarm systems as a branch of my private business. ...
      (alt.security.alarms)
    • Re: Reinstalling XP Home after hardware upgrade
      ... Uninstall at least the audio and video drivers on my old PC ... Move the drives to the new PC ... Boot the PC and let XP install the new drivers ... Are you referring to a sound card? ...
    • Re: SD card as HDD
      ... How SD cards cooperate with linux machines? ... You really should not install Linux to an SD card or USB ... that distro can't be easily loaded into netbook like EEE ...
      (comp.os.linux.hardware)