Re: rsync won't stop password prompt

michael_at_etalon.net
Date: 08/19/05

    Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:02:36 -0700
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    Quoting Rob Brenart <debian@oculardata.com>:

    > I'm trying to script an rsync process and I keep getting the password
    > prompt... here's my "script"
    >
    > rsync -avz -e /usr/bin/ssh --password-file=/home/username/pwd.rsync
    > /home/user/test/ host:/home/username/test
    >
    > And it works fine, but it prompts me for a password even though I'm
    > using --password-file
    >
    > I also tried putting
    > export RSYNC_PASSWORD=pwd
    >
    > but that didn't have an effect either.
    >
    > Any help?
    You may want to try using rsync with ssh.
    I think the sarge version of rsync will automatically use ssh.
    The key to ssh, rsync and no passwords is to have manually generated
    ssh keys with a blank password. That way, when you ssh to another host,
    it just logs in.
    Combine it with rsync and away you go.
    A simple command like:
    # rsync -a host:/foo/ /foo/bar/
    should work fine with ssh.

    Check the ssh man page for more info on creating custom keys if you
    haven't been down that way before.

    Cheers,
    Mike

    • Re: Detecting ssh waiting terminal input
      ... > rsync has MASSES of options and can keep you occupied for many moons ... > I'd suggest you get used the basic rsync and ssh stuff then start ... > people you don't trust can use to backup and restore their stuff using ... > passwordless keys that don't allow them any other access than backup ...
      (uk.comp.os.linux)
    • Re: Rsync problem - still unsolved
      ... not an ssh problem rather than an rsync problem. ... debug: client supports 1 auth methods: 'keyboard-interactive' ... Using keyboard-interactive authentication. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: [kde] Dolphin file copy question
      ... I am trying to use dolphin to copy a rather large directory (approx. ... Use rsync. ... rsync over ssh is quite easy indeed. ... workstation is 64-bit while my netbook is 32-bit, ...
      (KDE)
    • Re: rsync help requested
      ... Things will probably easier if you just use rsync ... without ssh until you've got it working. ... this client/server relationsip would be the way that a client web ... browser connects to a web server to view a page. ...
      (uk.comp.os.linux)
    • Re: sending large amount of data securely
      ... We mirror about 300GB worth of data accross one master and three slave servers using rsync, we do not use ssh as it's a local-only gigabit ethernet link between servers, but it's not overly difficult to accomplish in your case. ... If you do need to use ssh with rsync, then you could try out the latest openssh-portable port which now seems to support the HPN patches. ...
      (freebsd-questions)