Kernel panics when booting off SCSI

From: Joel Barker (jobagard-maya_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 08/22/05

    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:48:58 -0700

    I have been using two hard drives, an old IDE mounted at / and a brand new
    SCSI mounted on /home. A few days ago the IDE drive died. Fortunately, I had
    just copied all the data over to the SCSI drive (/dev/sda1). But when I try
    to boot off the SCSI drive, I get the following messags:

    Freeing unused kernel memory: 152k freed
    initrd-tools: 0.1.81.1
    NET: Registered protocol family 1
    Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
    ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
    NFORCE2: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:09.0
    NFORCE2: chipset revision 162
    NFORCE2: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    NFORCE2: 0000:00:09.0 (rev a2) UDMA133 controller
            ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
            ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
    hdc: OPTORITECD-RW CW5201, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
    ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
    pivot_root: No such file or directory
    /sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file

    Here are the commands I'm using in GRUB to boot:

    root (hd0,0) <--- this is the scsi disk
    kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro
    initrd /initrd.img
    boot

    I tried building a new initrd (mkinitrd) with 'scsi_mod', 'sd_mod' and
    'sr_mod' added to /etc/mkinitrd/modules, but no improvement. I then built an
    initrd with nearly all the modules from `lsmod` (except a few I was sure
    weren't needed, like soundcore) added to /etc/mkinitrd/modules. I got a few
    more messages when I tried to boot ("USB Mass Storage support
    registered"), but had the exact same error.

    I am using Debian 3.1.
    /sbin/init exists on both /dev/sda1 and the initrd.
    So does /dev/console.
    I DID specify the correct kernel version when building the initrd.
    If possible, I would like a solution short of recompiling the kernel.

    Thanks.
    ~joel

    • Re: cannot install on M4A78 PRO
      ... kernel the screen goes blank. ... arrangement because all my disks are IDE and I need the only M/B IDE slot ... linux OS with a live cd that I might try. ... PCI cards for some additional IDE drives. ...
      (comp.os.linux.hardware)
    • Re: New mailing list for 2.6 Medley RAID (Silicon Image 3112 etc.) BIOS RAID development
      ... > do you call running devicemapper tools from the initrd autodetection? ... thing can be set up by the kernel at boot-time if the necessary drivers ... drives manually if you preferred that solution. ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: booting w/o initrd
      ... My system does not seem to boot w/o a initrd. ... the system does not boot the kernel. ... kernel options to use SCSI emulation for your IDE CD-R/RW or IDE ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • (solved)Re: hda=noprobe fails
      ... I read kernel config in /boot, and find that ide is in module. ... I wonder if the ide is built into the kernel or is part of the initrd. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: SATA disk detected as IDE? SOLVED
      ... Nothing in anything he posted shows that the kernel ... IDE disks with newer PATA driver are shown as sda, ... Also a very easy method to see the reading speed of the disk is ... Look at the ATA_NCQ_HORKAGE list to see a group of drives whose ...
      (Debian-User)