Alt+numbers for special characters (e with acute accent, for example)

From: David R. Litwin (presently42_at_gmail.com)
Date: 08/30/05

    Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 23:56:45 -0400
    To: debian users <debian-user@lists.debian.org>

    I ask this here because I have no idea how to word it for Google. My
    appologies in advance.

    On windows, it is quite easy to insert a special character: For example, e
    with an acute accent () is accessed via typing Alt+0233.

    Simply, how do I do this on Debian?

    Thank you kindly in advance.

    --
    A watched bread-crumb never boils.