odd problem with CDROM drive

From: Seth Goodman (sethg_at_GoodmanAssociates.com)
Date: 09/11/05

    To: "Debian User List" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
    Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 13:36:54 -0500

    None of the various ISO CD's I've tried can get past the point in the
    installation where the boot kernel detects and mounts the CD. The machine
    can obviously read the CD, as it loads the kernel off the CD, detects
    hardware and sets up to do the netinstall. I installed using boot floppies
    (Sarge w/2.6.8 kernel using expert mode). The system functions properly:
    Exim works, desktop utilities work, Samba works, can SSH in from another
    box, but I still cannot mount a CD.

    I would attribute this to bad hardware except for the following. I
    downloaded and burned an ISO for Knoppix 3.9. When I boot the machine on
    that CD, it is then able to mount and examine the Knoppix CD. One obvious
    difference is the KDE desktop, another perhaps more significant one is the
    2.6.11 kernel. Any ideas how to approach this? It would be nice to be able
    to use the CD.

    The hardware is an IBM 300PL. There is one thing that I don't care for in
    the BIOS setup menu: you can't turn off shadowing of the video BIOS or the
    main BIOS. Despite this, the system that loads during the Knoppix boot
    could later mount the CD, so I don't think that was the issue.

    Thanks in advance for any insight or suggestions.

    --
    Seth Goodman

    • Fatal trap 12 during boot of 5.3-BETA7 installation CD
      ... I've got a Compaq Presario S3500CL desktop machine and every time I boot the ... 5.3-BETA7 miniinst installation CD, ... I've never reported a kernel Fatal trap before, ... pci0: ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Help: Multi OS wont boot some OS - Grub Boot loader
      ... for default installation). ... I can boot only into SUSE and Kubuntu. ... a blank screen while trying to boot Mandriva issues a Kernel panic with the ... # Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)
    • Problems booting after new motherboard - label /1 not found
      ... I have been using FC4 as a MythTV box for 18 months or so now and all has been well. ... Booting the kernel. ... mount: error 2 mounting ext3 ... The other volume I have is the data volume and is JFS on LVM, this I guess is where the error occurred during mount so is probably not really an issue at the moment, as the boot and root partitions are fine. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Lilo: fatal: raid_setup: stat("/dev/hda")
      ... After latest upgrade installation of lilo fails. ... # Kernel image management overrides ... # Specifies the boot device. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Diskless Debian PCs / Network Boot
      ... > Since the client is actually diskless, the boot process stops when the ... > kernel tries to mount a filesystem - that results in a kernel panic as ...
      (Debian-User)