Re: quickly partition disk, copy an image, install grub

From: Matt Price (moptop99_at_gmail.com)
Date: 09/21/05

    Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:36:41 -0400
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    Hi Ron,

    On 9/20/05, Ron Peterson <rpeterso@mtholyoke.edu> wrote:

    > On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 09:20:33AM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have to install ubuntu or something similar on about 20 aging
    > > workstations without cd drives. THese are donated boxes with small hard
    > > drives (as small as 2.1 gig, but not all identical) all wiped clean.
    >
    > Have you looked at System Installation Suite?
    >
    > http://wiki.sisuite.org/
    > apt-cache search systemimager
    >
    > Basic idea:
    >
    > * Make a golden master
    > * Make an install CD that gets clones minimally booted and networked
    > * Image the machine from the master
    >
    > Takes care of hostname tweaks etc.
    >
    > The instructions provide enought detail to make it look complicated, but
    > when you get down to it, it's really easy.
    >
    > dd is also an option, be careful about bad sectors etc. Also presumes
    > identical disks.
    >
    > Otherwise, do something like:
    >
    > * create master. make note of it's ip/network hostname
    > * boot clone w/ knoppix cd
    > * get shell, and 'sudo -s' to be root
    > * ssh root@master 'sfdisk -d /dev/hda' | sfdisk /dev/hda
    > * maybe do 'fdisk /dev/hda' and a write (type 'w') to make sure you call
    > ioctl so
    > kernel re-reads partition table
    > * mke2fs as req'd
    > * mkswap as req'd
    > * mount /hda/<root partition>
    > * mount /hda/<other partitions>
    >
    > so you end up with something like
    > /mnt/newroot
    > /mnt/newroot/home
    > /mnt/newroot/var
    > etc.
    >
    > Then rsync data over:
    >
    > * rsync -avz --hard-links root@master:/ /mnt/newroot
    >
    > Then edit /mnt/newroot/etc/ files that make specific mention of hostname
    > or ip address as req'd.
    >
    > This is from memory, so I'm sure I skipped or mistyped some crucial step
    > that will drive you mad.
    >
    > Oh, like the mbr...
    >
    > Maybe something like this to copy the boot record:
    >
    > * ssh root@master 'dd if=/dev/hda bs=512k count=1' | dd of=/dev/hda

    THis looks really cool. But at the moment there's no network, no
    imageserver, no nothing -- I'm starting form scratch in the basement of a
    housing project.... So I think I will try this method once I've gotten
    things up and running.

    Does Holyoke have linux clusters for student use? If so I'd be interested to
    hear how the transition has gone...

    matt

    --
    > Ron Peterson
    > Network & Systems Manager
    > Mount Holyoke College
    > http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~rpeterso
    >

    > --

    • Re: *URGENT* plz need help system not booting after "lvresize" command
      ... actually i also installed quota module by modeprobe qutoa_v2 and echo ... but right now the problem is command prompt. ... different OS drives but keep giving me the same error and not letting ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: suggestions for linux laptop
      ... but you can get drives for 40.. ... To unsubscribe or change subscription options: ... Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: etch install partitioner fails, no CD
      ... > Next it did not know where to look for install media. ... > autopartitioner again. ... > P4, APIC, SiS chip set, ATA drives, one per cable. ... > with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
      (Debian-User)
    • trouble formatting 3TB Seagate external HDrives. need help
      ... it seems to me that stuff has been written onto the drives that needs to be wiped off because I get messages that from the disk utility in xfce4 that it won't overwrite a disk with data on it. ... how long should a 3T wipe take to complete? ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
      (Debian-User)