eth0 does not start during boot, but can be started manually

From: richard (recw_at_pobox.com)
Date: 09/29/05

    Date: 28 Sep 2005 19:52:59 -0700
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    this is probably a simple error but I'm stuck.

    System: IBM ThinkPad 570E, Debian Sarge, KDE, w/ most current updates
    (I
    think). Kernel version 2.4.27-2-386. NB. on this machine, networking
    is
    via a plugin PCMCIA card.

    After some upgrades:-
    (kernel 2.4.27-1-386 to 2.4.27-2-386, but many other package upgrades
    as well, via aptitude), networking behavior has changed.

    Now, networking no longer starts at boot time, but can be started
    (and runs
    normally) after system is up (via /etc/init.d/networking start, or via
    the kde network admin panel). (this behavior is now the same with
    either
    kernel version)

    Since I can start networking manually, I'm guessing that
    configurations are correct (see 'interfaces' content below), though I
    don't
    understand 2 aspects of the file :-
    1) the split 'auto' statement (tried replacing with a single 'auto lo
    eth0'
     at top of file, but made no difference
    2) the hotplug reference to eth0 (is this related to pcmcia?)

    polyphony:/etc/network# cat interfaces
    --------------start of interfaces---------------

    # The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    # This is a list of hotpluggable network interfaces.
    # They will be activated automatically by the hotplug subsystem.
    mapping hotplug
            script grep
            map eth0

    # The primary network interface
    iface eth0 inet static
            # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if
    installed
            dns-nameservers 207.217.126.81 207.69.188.85
            name Ethernet LAN card
            address 192.168.2.101
            netmask 255.255.255.0
            broadcast 192.168.2.255
            network 192.168.2.0
            gateway 192.168.2.1

    auto eth0
    ----------end of interfaces-------------

    So might it be a runlevel script problem?

    I'd much appreciate some help in diagnosing and repairing this.

    Thanks!

    Richard