eth0 does not start during boot, but can be started manually

From: richard (recw_at_pobox.com)
Date: 09/29/05

    Date: 28 Sep 2005 19:52:59 -0700
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    this is probably a simple error but I'm stuck.

    System: IBM ThinkPad 570E, Debian Sarge, KDE, w/ most current updates
    (I
    think). Kernel version 2.4.27-2-386. NB. on this machine, networking
    is
    via a plugin PCMCIA card.

    After some upgrades:-
    (kernel 2.4.27-1-386 to 2.4.27-2-386, but many other package upgrades
    as well, via aptitude), networking behavior has changed.

    Now, networking no longer starts at boot time, but can be started
    (and runs
    normally) after system is up (via /etc/init.d/networking start, or via
    the kde network admin panel). (this behavior is now the same with
    either
    kernel version)

    Since I can start networking manually, I'm guessing that
    configurations are correct (see 'interfaces' content below), though I
    don't
    understand 2 aspects of the file :-
    1) the split 'auto' statement (tried replacing with a single 'auto lo
    eth0'
     at top of file, but made no difference
    2) the hotplug reference to eth0 (is this related to pcmcia?)

    polyphony:/etc/network# cat interfaces
    --------------start of interfaces---------------

    # The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    # This is a list of hotpluggable network interfaces.
    # They will be activated automatically by the hotplug subsystem.
    mapping hotplug
            script grep
            map eth0

    # The primary network interface
    iface eth0 inet static
            # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if
    installed
            dns-nameservers 207.217.126.81 207.69.188.85
            name Ethernet LAN card
            address 192.168.2.101
            netmask 255.255.255.0
            broadcast 192.168.2.255
            network 192.168.2.0
            gateway 192.168.2.1

    auto eth0
    ----------end of interfaces-------------

    So might it be a runlevel script problem?

    I'd much appreciate some help in diagnosing and repairing this.

    Thanks!

    Richard

    • Re: net/mpd5, ppp, proxy-arp issues
      ... connect to my home network: ... which caused kernel crashes with ISDN+INET6 some two years ago. ... network domains are added after network interfaces have been ... that the init order is reversed. ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Re: net/mpd5, ppp, proxy-arp issues
      ... connect to my home network: ... which caused kernel crashes with ISDN+INET6 some two years ago. ... network domains are added after network interfaces have been ... that the init order is reversed. ...
      (freebsd-net)
    • Re: net/mpd5, ppp, proxy-arp issues
      ... connect to my home network: ... which caused kernel crashes with ISDN+INET6 some two years ago. ... network domains are added after network interfaces have been ... that the init order is reversed. ...
      (freebsd-stable)
    • Re: [opensuse] Setting up network devices with YaST
      ... able to get the assignments correct one time does not mean it will stay ... I managed to get my external NIC configured long enough to install it, however still no joy getting my gateway computer to boot up with the network configured correctly, every time. ... I gave up on trying to use YaST to configure the two network cards on my gateway computer however, (it still gets confused when I try to use it to reverse the device names being assigned to each of my NICs) and manually configured the ... Configure network interfaces and set up routing. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: [opensuse] Re: How to set up CUPS for shared printer?
      ... because whenever you need it for printing in the network, ... Trusted networks should have well separated network interfaces ... Such kind of firewall setup to deal with such cases ... Just opening ports in the EXT zone also does not make ...
      (SuSE)