Re: /dev/mouse & /dev/dsp missing!

From: Adam Bogacki (afb_at_paradise.net.nz)
Date: 10/16/05

    Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 21:23:31 +1300
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    Fyi, Adam.

    ----- Forwarded message from Adam Bogacki <afb@paradise.net.nz> -----

    From: Adam Bogacki <afb@paradise.net.nz>
    To: slug@slug.org.au
    Cc: wellylug@lists.wellylug.co.nz
    Subject: Re: /dev/mouse & /dev/dsp missing!

    Thanks Jason, I tried that ..

    > /dev/mouse is depreciated. All it's supposed to be is a link to /dev/psaux
    > as far as I recall but on my system it doesn't exist either. I'd guess it
    > was removed as it's not supposed to be used any more. The most recommended
    > thing to change it to would be /dev/input/mice as this reads from all mice
    > that the system knows of so you don't have to manually specify each one you
    > attach to the system.

    .. but still no cursor. @#$!

    Not only that, but I don't seem to be able to enter init 3 via
    Alt-F* or typing 'init 3' at boot prompt so I'm using mutt in the
    top left two-thirds of the screen .. better than nothing.

    > What sound modules were you using previously? alsa or oss? Since oss is
    > depreciated I'd guess also but then I hav no idea why you've got mplayer set
    > to play via oss rather than alsa.

    ALSA - but I can't find alsa modules in /etc/modules (attached) - are
    they missing ?

    > If you are using alsa like me. I had alsa sound work fine but not programs
    > that still tried to use oss devices after my last transition. The alsa sound
    > modules were loaded but not the oss modules that provide backwards
    > compatibility with oss sound devices. Try loading, snd-mixer-oss and
    > snd-pcm-oss (modprobe snd-mixer-oss, modprobe snd-mixer-oss) and see if that
    > makes /dev/dsp appear. If so add those modules to your /etc/modules file so
    > they are loaded on next boot.

    Hmm .. tried that too but still received the /dev/dsp error message
    from mplayer.

    I think I have to sleep on this - it always happens when other things
    are also coming to a head.

    Adam Bogacki,
    afb@paradise.net.nz

    # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
    #
    # This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
    # to be loaded at boot time, one per line. Comments begin with
    # a "#", and everything on the line after them are ignored.

    printer
    apm
    usb-uhci
    input