Re: puTTY and debian

From: Gregory Seidman (gsslist+debian_at_anthropohedron.net)
Date: 10/20/05

    Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 08:08:30 -0400
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 07:44:46AM -0400, deb@cercy.net wrote:
    } For some time I've used the ssh client program puTTY to connect from
    } windows machines to debian systems. However, every 3.1 box I've installed
    } refuses to accept ssh logins via putty. What specific protocol options
    } does the pre-compiled sshd requires? I've checekd the config files, run
    } tcpdump to check connectivity, but I've uncovered nothing. Is there a way
    } to turn on logging for sshd? I've seen a previous post where someone was
    } having similar problems with the linux puTTY package for debian not being
    } able to login to other debian sshd servers, but there was no resolution
    } mentioned.

    I have never experienced the problems you mention. As I type this, I am
    logged into my Debian box at home (running etch rather than sarge, but it
    ran sarge before its release as stable and I also had no problems) with
    PuTTY on Windows.

    That said, here are some ideas on diagnosing your problem. First, edit your
    /etc/ssh/sshd_config and change the LogLevel to DEBUG.
    You should see a line that says that the SyslogFacility being used is AUTH;
    in a normal configuration, this means that sshd messages go to
    /var/log/auth.log and you can grep that file for sshd. Once you've
    restarted sshd after changing the log level, run (as root):

    tail -f /var/log/auth.log | grep sshd

    This will show you only sshd messages. Now attempt to connect with PuTTY.
    You should see a bunch of output which, one hopes, will shed some light on
    the subject. If it isn't clear to you what the problem is, paste that
    output into your next message.

    Also, PuTTY itself has an Event Log accessible from its system menu. That,
    too, may be informative.

    --Greg

    • puTTY and debian
      ... For some time I've used the ssh client program puTTY to connect from ... windows machines to debian systems. ... does the pre-compiled sshd requires? ...
      (Debian-User)
    • puTTY and debian
      ... For some time I've used the ssh client program puTTY to connect from ... windows machines to debian systems. ... does the pre-compiled sshd requires? ...
      (Debian-User)
    • sshd
      ... I have a question concerning sshd. ... I'm unable to connect from outside to my Debian box. ... # To enable empty passwords, ... # Kerberos options ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: ssh2
      ... That's why putty can't detect that there's a problem, because it doesn't have the *correct* values, and so doesn't know that there is now an incorrect host key machine at the end of the socket. ... The worrying thing is that since the sshd now asks for ssh2 protocol only, there is a new sshd operating, one you didn't install, and one which may be copying keystroke data (login names and passwords) to some unauthorized other site. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: possibly compromised redhat 7.2 box
      ... sshd is running on the server, the firewall port is open, etc. ... down my access to ssh. ... | PuTTY has been upgraded recently, ...
      (Security-Basics)