Re: SATA DVD not recognized

From: marc (gmane_at_auxbuss.com)
Date: 10/20/05

To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Date:  Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:14:37 +0100

. said...

> Hi,
>
> I´m trying to get a Plextor 712-SA DVD drive working on an Asus A8N-SLI
> with kernel 2.6.13. I can load the libata and sata_nv modules, and there
> are messages about adding and removing SATA devices. Also, it says the
> SATA device on the first SATA port, which is the DVD drive, is being
> configured for UDMA33.
>
> I have only the first two SATA ports enabled in the BIOS, and they show
> up as scsi2 and scsi3. The system is SCSI only except for the DVD drive.
>
> I cannot access the DVD drive because there´s no device for it. It also
> doesn´t show up in /proc/scsi/scsi.
>
> I figure it should be accessible as /dev/sr1 or /dev/scd1 besides my
> SCSI CDROM which is scd0. But it doesn´t exist.
>
> Is there any documentation on the sata_nv and libata modules in the
> kernel docs? I couldn´t find anything useful for libata and nothing for
> sata_nv.
>
> Any ideas how I can get it working?
>
> Is there any manufacturer left making SCSI DVDs? SATA sucks.

SATA works pretty well here. A one line fix, that I've been using on a
laptop, involves activating ATAPI in include/linux/libata.h. I'm using
this on 2.6.13-3, and also used it on 2.12 kernels.

#undef ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI /* define to enable ATAPI support */
#define ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI /* define to enable ATAPI support */

--
Best,
Marc

  • SATA DVD not recognized
    ... I´m trying to get a Plextor 712-SA DVD drive working on an Asus A8N-SLI ... with kernel 2.6.13. ... SATA device on the first SATA port, which is the DVD drive, is being ... Is there any documentation on the sata_nv and libata modules in the ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: SATA DVD not recognized
    ... > with kernel 2.6.13. ... > are messages about adding and removing SATA devices. ... > Is there any documentation on the sata_nv and libata modules in the ... > Is there any manufacturer left making SCSI DVDs? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: RedHat 10 wishlist
    ... But performance is not everything SATA ... the smaller form factor drives. ... > kernel, ... >> REdhat is to wrap more stuff into its coming workstation release that I ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: Cargo Cult sysadmining
    ... No need for SATA, PCI, or cardbus ... I may recompile the kernel these days; ... Removing PATA "because I'll never use it" leads to you discovering ... throw ANY disks away. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Changes in SATA, IDE and ATAPI configuration
    ... At the risk of getting flamed for asking a basic question here, could I suggest that a kernel and/or driver developer provide a brief "how-to acticle" somehere that explains the way things have changed from the early 2.6.x days to more recent kernels like 2.6.14 or 2.6.15 with respect to configuring fundamental devices like IDE drives, SATA drives, and ATAPI drives. ... I have been struggling for about two weeks to move an image of an IDE OS Drive that's running a 2.6.14 kernel over to a SATA drive. ... When making fresh installs onto SATA drives, some distributions seem to load the AHCI module and some don't, on exactly the same hardware with the same kernel. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)