Installing to SATA drives (was Re: SATA DVD not recognized)

From: Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net)
Date: 10/20/05

    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:04:56 -0500

    On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 08:12 -0700, Basajaun wrote:
    > marc wrote:
    > > > Hi,

    [snip]

    > [snip]

    [snip]

    > [snip]

    [snip]

    > 1) Debian can not be installed on a SATA HD from scratch with a 2.6
    > kernel. Rather, one has to install with kernel 2.4, _then_ upgrade the
    > kernel. This is so because, under 2.6, SATA is seen as SCSI, and
    > somehow this makes the install program not see the IDE CD drive it is
    > being installed from.

    Sure it can. I just did it a couple of weeks ago.

    Note that I did it using the latest Etch daily netinst ISO build,
    not Sarge.

    • Re: Positrons
      ... Snippety snip, Bonehead, you integrity-less boor, and ignore the ... I can snip what you write faster than you can snip what I write. ... It's the length of the plane or train or car. ...
      (sci.physics.relativity)
    • Re: misunderstanding higher education
      ... plane) who got most of their money from the bicycle shop profits. ...
      (sci.research.careers)
    • Re: Alaska Airlines prayer scare
      ... They ignored the seat belt sign when it was on and kept ... standing up. ... such as if the plane had been in the process of crashing. ...
      (soc.culture.jewish.moderated)
    • Re: Dont you just hate it...
      ... I wodner what makes that kind of ghost, ... hearing about a ghostly plane crash, WWII era again, the ... quite recall. ...
      (uk.religion.pagan)
    • Re: Poor, pathetic lobbyist...
      ... loudspeakers and a leaflet dispenser, ... Basulto's plane, they were shown roaring over Havana at rooftop level, ... BTTR Shootdown Revisited" at my website). ...
      (soc.culture.cuba)