What's the right way to rm packages?

From: s. keeling (keeling_at_spots.ab.ca)
Date: 11/05/05

    Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 22:21:43 GMT
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    I blew away CUPS last night, not noticing it was taking Gnome with
    it. In the past, I've mixed "aptitude remove" with "dpkg -r", then
    cleaning up after the result.

    What's the right way with aptitude? How do I not blow away
    $SOMEWANTEDPACKAGE correctly?

    I'm running sarge.

    - -

    • Re: Whats the right way to rm packages?
      ... > I blew away CUPS last night, not noticing it was taking Gnome with ... > cleaning up after the result. ... I always use aptitude in the interactive mode; ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: aptitude trap: hold directives not honored.
      ... problem is that aptitude ignores the status file. ... Or are you saying that dpkg is what's broken? ... The package description for dpkg ... consistently betweeen the two interfaces it supports. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: apt .v. aptitude (was Re: how to remove exim4 without removing mysql-server?)
      ... dpkg itself doesn't care about holds. ... > Consider aptitude to be attempting to define a new standard. ... >> be used as the primary interface and is not as well supported. ... According to the changelog, it's ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: debian sid & gnome
      ... The following packages will be REMOVED: ... Should I continue to wait for some more weeks until finally gnome can ... to use aptitude rather than apt-get or synaptic. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: apt .v. aptitude (was Re: how to remove exim4 without removing mysql-server?)
      ... dpkg is the fundamental package installation tool. ... Consider aptitude to be attempting to define a new standard. ... I don't rely on dselect and apt-get to define the standard, ... > be used as the primary interface and is not as well supported. ...
      (Debian-User)