keyboard lockup at start-up - after kde upgrade (3.4.2)

From: Michael Bonert (sparcc_at_gmx.net)
Date: 11/06/05

    Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 05:23:22 +0100 (MET)
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org>

    After upgrading KDE (to 3.4.2). I started having the keyboard lockup
    problem discussed here:

    The work around I found for this annoying problem (reproduced below) does
    not work.

    Complicating the situation is that one cannot easily drop to a virtual
    console. The new login screen (after the upgrade) doesn't have the option to
    drop to a console... and since the keyboard is locked it appears that one is
    just plain screwed.

    After rebooting a couple of times and hoping I'd luck-out I realized that if
    I frantically tap the keyboard ("ctrl-alt-F1" after selecting "re-start
    X-server") I can sometimes drop to a virtual console. From there I can kill
    'kdm'... and if I re-start kdm the keyboard problem is gone (like in my past
    experience). This is a very crude work around. I'm looking for a definitive
    fix for kdm.

    Does anyone have a detailed set of instructions for licking the annoying
    problem?

    Nikita's post ( http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/07/msg01217.html )
    and the follow-up by Enrico Zini (
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/07/msg01268.html ) seem to nail
    down the problem-- but they don't get me closer to fixing it 'cause I don't
    know enough about where the relevant files reside.

    Thanks,
    Michael

    KEYBOARD LOCK-UP BUG
    August 27, 2005

    Google
    search
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=X%2C+keyboard+lock-up&btnG=Google+Search

    Keyboard lockup after X startup; possible cause

    bug seems to be avoided with use of 'gdm' ???

    ----this site gives the specific syntax for defining the virtual console
    http://lists.freedesktop.org/pipermail/xorg/2004-November/004368.html

    ---
    startx/xinit ... - vt7