Many packages missing from testing

From: Joona Kiiski (joona.kiiski_at_gmail.com)
Date: 11/10/05

    Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 20:17:44 +0200
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    Hi!

    Now for about two weeks there have been many packages out of testing. I'm
    must wondering what's the point? Those missing packages prevent me from
    upgrading because there are many among those which I desperatily need and I
    don't want to start hacking apt. Wouldn't it be better to have an unstable
    version of packages in testing than no version at all!

    Okay, you are pros, I'm just a newbie and there must be a good reason for
    this, this situation is just irritating. Maybe you could consider having
    four versions
    of debian in transition phase, like: stable, testing, testing-new, unstable.
    And when 99.5% packages would have entered testing-new it could replace
    testing. Just an idea, maybe it would just make things too complicated for
    developers and maintainers.

    --
    Joona Kiiski <joona.kiiski@gmail.com>

    • RE: [SLE] Configuring swat -- off topic
      ... I plan on taking another crack at upgrading ... those packages might not have been on the CDs for that newer SuSE version. ... Recover everything from the YAST backup ...
      (SuSE)
    • Mishap upgrading from Woody to Etch
      ... so started upgrading packages with the ... I now need to install the libuuid1 package, but I cannot do this because the ... file system is started Read Only. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Updating ports
      ... Actually I was wrong because portupgrade doesn't do what I want at all to ... any kind of database / dependency inconsistencies as a matter of expected ... (I do realize upgrading is difficult in several fundamental ways; ... or indirectly because packages are tested on ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Weird Upgrade procedure - Debian Testing.
      ... It'll be upgrading a heap of files, so, it'll delete the old ones and download the new ones, Hope 'm explaining this right, I've had no sleep! ... The size of the _to_be_fetched_ packages is ... iptables kappfinder kate kcontrol kdebase kdebase-bin kdebase-data ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
      (Debian-User)
    • [Full-Disclosure] [USN-17-1] passwd vulnerability
      ... Ubuntu 4.10 ... The following packages are affected: ... The problem can be corrected by upgrading the affected package to ... their login shell without having to change their password. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)