Window manager/desktop environment that's not RAM-intensive

From: Robert Waldner (waldner_at_waldner.priv.at)
Date: 11/11/05

    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
    Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 00:14:52 +0100

    Hi!

    I'm currently converting the SOs laptop to Debian. Problem is that
     it's rather underpowered in terms of RAM - 128 MB and no chance of
     upgrading.

    So I'm looking for a window manager/desktop environment that doesn't
     have the memory footprint of Gnome or KDE.

    Personally, I'm fond of Enlightenment as a window manager, but the
     SO, who's only familiar with Windos and Gnome, needs something where the
     look&feel is more consistent with what she knows. Most needed would be
     some kind of "taskbar" and the possibility of having clickable
     "shortcuts" to applications (and maybe documents) on the desktop.
    It doesn't matter if it's technically superior, has integrated
     applications, virtual desktops or a constantly-running sound mixer,
     the above pretty much sums up the whole list of requirements - the rest
     I can handle myself.

    Any suggestions?

    cheers,
    &rw

    --
    -- Das ist übrigens die einzige wirklich erfreuliche Seite Berlins:
    -- Läuft man im Bahnhof Zoo ein, sieht man als erstes eine zerstörte