Adding LVM to an existing system

From: Marc Shapiro (mshapiro_42_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 11/15/05

    Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:33:20 -0800
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    I currently do not use LVM.

    I have a 40GB disk with 3 physical partitions and logical partitions
    5-11 on the remaining physical partition. Several of the partitions are
    getting full. There is space on the disk. Just over half of the disk
    space is UN-partitioned.

    What I need to know is if I am better off to simply juggle the data
    around using parted to increase the size of the paritions, or should I
    install LVM and migrate the data to LVM volumes.

    I have read the LVM-HOWTO.

    It sound like I could create a new logical partition out of the
    remaining space and create LVs there to hold all of my data. After
    copying my data to the LVs and verifying that I can boot to the new LVs
    I could then delete the old logical partitions, replace them with a
    single, large partition and add it to the VG. This would give me plenty
    of space to grow my LVs in the future.

    Is this a good plan, or should I just juggle logical paritions and not
    use LVM?

    If I use LVM, should I leave the root and boot partitions out of the LG,
    or can I boot from a LV? If so, what do I need to do to make sure that
    everything works?

    --
    Marc Shapiro
    mshapiro_42@yahoo.com