Adding LVM to an existing system

From: Marc Shapiro (mshapiro_42_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 11/15/05

    Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:33:20 -0800
    To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

    I currently do not use LVM.

    I have a 40GB disk with 3 physical partitions and logical partitions
    5-11 on the remaining physical partition. Several of the partitions are
    getting full. There is space on the disk. Just over half of the disk
    space is UN-partitioned.

    What I need to know is if I am better off to simply juggle the data
    around using parted to increase the size of the paritions, or should I
    install LVM and migrate the data to LVM volumes.

    I have read the LVM-HOWTO.

    It sound like I could create a new logical partition out of the
    remaining space and create LVs there to hold all of my data. After
    copying my data to the LVs and verifying that I can boot to the new LVs
    I could then delete the old logical partitions, replace them with a
    single, large partition and add it to the VG. This would give me plenty
    of space to grow my LVs in the future.

    Is this a good plan, or should I just juggle logical paritions and not
    use LVM?

    If I use LVM, should I leave the root and boot partitions out of the LG,
    or can I boot from a LV? If so, what do I need to do to make sure that
    everything works?

    --
    Marc Shapiro
    mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

    • Re: I need updating about these aspects...
      ... today I thought I had better take a fresh backup of all my partitions. ... I had to use Partition Magic to delete all the partitions before LVM ... and make multiple backups to include ... * the 120 GB backup hard disk is currently attached via an USB port. ...
      (comp.os.os2.misc)
    • Re: Missing Disk Space or Partition
      ... Those will tell you what LVM thinks that it has. ... but it appears that your disk is ... Using overlapping partitions could cause problems, ... cylinders that might make sense, but I have never seen it before. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Missing Disk Space or Partition
      ... If it is just a lvm problem, then you should first try running pvs, vgs, ... /sda2 is extending from cylinder 19 to the last cylinder ... but it appears that your disk is ... Using overlapping partitions could cause problems, ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: I need updating about these aspects...
      ... today I thought I had better take a fresh backup of all my partitions. ... I had to use Partition Magic to delete all the partitions before LVM ... The only answer is to configure them to create files less than 2 GiB, and make multiple backups to include everything. ... * the 120 GB backup hard disk is currently attached via an USB port. ...
      (comp.os.os2.misc)
    • Re: USB external Hard disk - May be LVM
      ... > Using Felipe's directions from an earlier discussion, ... > Here is what I did to see the lvm volume from the other disk. ... I re-installed Fedora on ext3 partitions. ...
      (Fedora)