Re: X flickering

From: jack (jack_at_dea.unian.it)
Date: 11/23/05

    Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:38:21 +0100 (CET)
    To: liam.p.otoole@gmail.com

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 liam.p.otoole@gmail.com wrote:

    > jack wrote:
    > > I'm running testing (etch) on x86. About a week ago, possibly
    > > Wednesday 16/11 (sorry, I can't be more precise), after updating my
    > > packages, I've started having problems with "flickering" in X. The
    > > trouble is, I can't pinpoint the problem down. I'd be happy to file a bug
    > > report, if only I could understand what's wrong.
    >
    > <SNIP interesting ASCII art>
    >

    > > What puzzles me the most is that I have the same problem in an xfce
    > > session BUT NOT in a kde session. KDE is rock solid. Is seems to me
    > > that xorg shouldn't be the culprit, but then? I thought maybe the wm
    > > could be given the blame, but the fact that the problem stays
    > > unchanged with metacity, sawfish AND xfwm4 make me uncertain.
    > >

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am not subscribed to the above list, so I'm writing to you directly.
    >
    > One thing that GNOME and XFCE (but not KDE) have in common is that they
    > use settings daemons. I wonder if there is some strange interplay
    > between these daemons and your xorg set-up?
    >
    > To test this, when in a GNOME session find the process called
    > gnome-settings-daemon and kill it. (You will lose things like theme and
    > font customisation, but nothing more). Does this solve your problem?
    > Alternatively, start the same daemon in a KDE session. Does this
    > *cause* the problem?
    >
    > Liam

    (also forwarded to the debian-user list)

    Aha. Well spotted. The plot thickens.

    Killing gnome-settings-daemon under gnome is impossible (it restarts by
    itself each time), so I can't check, BUT starting it under KDE produces
    the same symptoms; the symptoms disappear after killing it. On the other
    hand, after killing xfce-mcs-manager (under xfce) the problem persists.

    However, the simple fact that the problem is now reproducible is a big
    step forward. Thanks!

    Ideas, anyone?

    Riccardo `Jack' Lucchetti
    Dipartimento di Economia