Re: X flickering

From: jack (jack_at_dea.unian.it)
Date: 11/23/05

    Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:38:21 +0100 (CET)
    To: liam.p.otoole@gmail.com

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 liam.p.otoole@gmail.com wrote:

    > jack wrote:
    > > I'm running testing (etch) on x86. About a week ago, possibly
    > > Wednesday 16/11 (sorry, I can't be more precise), after updating my
    > > packages, I've started having problems with "flickering" in X. The
    > > trouble is, I can't pinpoint the problem down. I'd be happy to file a bug
    > > report, if only I could understand what's wrong.
    >
    > <SNIP interesting ASCII art>
    >

    > > What puzzles me the most is that I have the same problem in an xfce
    > > session BUT NOT in a kde session. KDE is rock solid. Is seems to me
    > > that xorg shouldn't be the culprit, but then? I thought maybe the wm
    > > could be given the blame, but the fact that the problem stays
    > > unchanged with metacity, sawfish AND xfwm4 make me uncertain.
    > >

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am not subscribed to the above list, so I'm writing to you directly.
    >
    > One thing that GNOME and XFCE (but not KDE) have in common is that they
    > use settings daemons. I wonder if there is some strange interplay
    > between these daemons and your xorg set-up?
    >
    > To test this, when in a GNOME session find the process called
    > gnome-settings-daemon and kill it. (You will lose things like theme and
    > font customisation, but nothing more). Does this solve your problem?
    > Alternatively, start the same daemon in a KDE session. Does this
    > *cause* the problem?
    >
    > Liam

    (also forwarded to the debian-user list)

    Aha. Well spotted. The plot thickens.

    Killing gnome-settings-daemon under gnome is impossible (it restarts by
    itself each time), so I can't check, BUT starting it under KDE produces
    the same symptoms; the symptoms disappear after killing it. On the other
    hand, after killing xfce-mcs-manager (under xfce) the problem persists.

    However, the simple fact that the problem is now reproducible is a big
    step forward. Thanks!

    Ideas, anyone?

    Riccardo `Jack' Lucchetti
    Dipartimento di Economia
    UniversitÓ Politecnica delle Marche

    jack@dea.unian.it
    http://www.econ.univpm.it/lucchetti

    • Re: AM/PM in Thunderbird -
      ... > after KDE closes). ... firefox windows and library, 6 terminals, 4 konqueror windows, ... Presumably you have configured the KDE session manager to reopen the ... > you can terminate the KDE session, fiddle with Shell variables, ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: [SLE] KDE daemon processes
      ... (I use an fvwm-based desktop.) ... daemons get started; I assume for application communication and such. ... get shot down with the last KDE application terminating. ... need to analyse the KDE startup scheme myself? ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: [kde-linux] "The name org.kde.kded was not provided by any .service files"
      ... this was printed as an error message. ... KDE session or KDE application startup. ... Kevin Krammer, KDE developer, xdg-utils developer ...
      (KDE)
    • Re: [SLE] Sound issue on SUSE 10.0
      ... > The only different thing I'm doing now is that I log out from KDE before ... is 5, and logging out of kde logs you out, which changes the permissions ... on the devices per resmgr. ... I always left my KDE session open. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: AM/PM in Thunderbird -
      ... run from the new shell you just entered are going to see the change. ... while using kde, i ran test of following and it all works as noted ... i keep 6 terminals running in kde, i do not close them when i ... KDE session, so strictly speaking you haven't logged out and the new KDE ...
      (Fedora)