Re: *nix cert

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 02:01:58 -0800 (PST)
Alvin Oga <aoga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, arden wrote:
>
> > Slightly off topic sorry
> >
> > but Im trying to brake out of my hardware suppport role and into a more sys admin role
> >
> > My company will not support this so im doing this off my own back
> >
> > What cert would people recomend to do at home ? (This my own money here so cant afford corporate rates)
> >
> > I have a small home network running x86 machines So Aix is out unless can find a p-series box cheap
>
> take apart your machines ... and put it back together
> - buy/get/beg for spare sparts from everybody that is
> throwing out their old junk and make it work ..
>
> when you see people post problems in mailing lists, that xxx doesn't work
> .. see if you can make it work on your boxes
>
> certs are meaningless in most cases, but experiences in
> being to fix problems far outweigh any cert and PhD
>
> if you can't fix "the problem", having a cert that says you're
> a level-5 sage sys admin expert won't help you
>
> "the problem" is the one that your boss cares about
> that helped him get all the other monkeys off his back too
>
> but some folks won't give you the time of day unless oyu
> do have a cert... ( seems odd to me, that it's in their requirements
> for qualifications, and at the same time lists 5-10 yrs exp
> and BS or MS preferred )
>
> but if you have a BS/MS/PhD, you're over qualified to
> be doing "sys admin" but you will do that in either case
> whether you want to or not ...
>
> why people treat sys admin so badly, i donno ..
> esp when it is the sysamdin who they turn to when the computer
> breaks
>
> - get a 4yr college degree ...
> $1200 for certs or a year of college tuition(?)
>
> c ya
> alvin

Thanks for the reply

Taking stuff apart and fixing it is not a prob I fix everything at work IBM x-p-i and even z series

plus sun dec and hp kit

Its proving I can move out of the screwdriver hands Job on and move onto supporting the OS

I know I can do it been using linux at home for years no windoze boxes here, need to prove it to closed minded Managers

Arden

> --

  • Re: fsck failed after hard crash
    ... either 5.1R is too far back or you are in trouble. ... > FWIW. ... i booted the live CD and was able to fix my ufs2 fs. ... To unsubscribe, ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: I need further understanding of wine or bash
    ... Dylan Garrett wrote: ... > One issue that I see that you should fix (though it won't affect ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ... Trouble? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: need help logging into sarge for i386
    ... mike williams wrote: ... how can i fix this or take out the whole ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ... Trouble? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: SVG broke after installing Pidgin unstable package
    ... until a fix can enter Testing where it is fixed sometimes on the same day in ... Chennai - 600 036 ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ... Trouble? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: how to renew a security certificate?