Re: etch install partitioner fails, no CD

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 12:52:07AM -0800, Cameron L. Spitzer wrote:

> I burned a Dec 10 weekly Etch 1 of 15 CD to try the installer.
> Seems to work fine until we try the auto-partitioner.
> I had already prepared my 6 GB test drive with ext3
> on hda1 and swap on hda2. Autopartitioner blew that
> away and replaced it with an LVM partition.
> Then it reported failure.
>
> I booted knoppix and prepared the drive again.
> This time I said no to autopartition and it failed,
> explaining there is nothing mounted as /target.
> So I got a shell and made /target and mounted
> /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 there.
>
> Next it did not know where to look for install media.
> Since there was no helpful message about where
> the CD is supposed to appear, I installed the base
> system and GRUB over the network. At every step,
> the install menu wants to run that broken
> autopartitioner again.
>
> After rebooting, the base install works, except
> the apt-configure needs to be told the CD is
> /dev/hdc. I notice /etc/fstab is unconfigured here.
>
> During package selection, I have to repeatedly
> mount the CD; apt is not doing it automatically.
> Tasksel hangs and I give up on it. Apparently it
> doesn't know what to do when the things behind it
> fail. Apparently it traps signals so I have to kill
> it from the shell. Will use apt-get as usual.
> Don't give this release to a newbie, they'll be
> frustrated and go back to Windoze.
>
> This is about as generic a PC as you can find today.
> P4, APIC, SiS chip set, ATA drives, one per cable.
> Looks like hardware detection is hosed in the Dec 10
> Etch snapshot, resulting in no /etc/fstab.
> If I knew which package that was I'd file a bug.
>
> Otherwise, the new base-config is a little nicer.
> Thanks, folks!
>

> Cameron

You might want to send this report to debian-boot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (I
think) so they can fix the problems mentioned above

Pete

> --

  • Re: SATA drive problems in LENNY...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: squeeze on 2TB drive
    ... I dont think it is one of those types of drives afaik. ... I continue the install and grub fails to install on sda. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject ... Trouble? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Storage server
    ... That's hard to believe given the worldwide penetration Adaptec has, ... Are the 4x 3TB drives the only drives in this ... "Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sda ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • etch install partitioner fails, no CD
    ... Next it did not know where to look for install media. ... autopartitioner again. ... P4, APIC, SiS chip set, ATA drives, one per cable. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Blue Screen During XP Installation
    ... drive was to install it as a secondary drive in the problem machine. ... my machine with IDE drives to use a SATA drive via a USB cable. ... but if the blue screens are the result of a SATA driver issue, ... The HDD was installed as a USB-connected device and ordinarily the XP OS ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)