Re: How can I play avi, wmv, mov videos on a standalone DVD player?

Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 22:01 -0500, Robert Glueck wrote:
>> I'd like to play video clips in .avi, .wmv and .mov
>> format on a standalone DVD player that's hooked up to a
>> standard
>> TV set. The particular unit is a Magnavox MDV456/17.
>> It's able to play commercial movie DVD's, audio CD's,
>> finalized DVD+R's and DVD+RW's, and VCD's but it doesn't
>> support
>> DivX/XviD. It also doesn't play CD's and DVD's which
>> contain avi, wmv and mov videos that I downloaded from
>> the web and burned on the Samsung CD/DVDW TS-H552U
>> burner/player in my computer.
>>
>> Is there a way to convert these avi, wmv and mov files to
>> a format and on media that this dedicated DVD player can
>> handle? I'm running Debian Sarge.
>
> You need to convert them to MPEG2, then create special
> table-of- content files, and put them all in a defined
> directory structure.
>
> mplayer and transcode (which comes in the mplayer package,
> I think)
> can do the conversion. Don't remember, though, what
> package will do the rest.
>
> kino (which is a non-linear video editor) *might* be able
> to do it, as onw of it's side functions.

The manual for my dedicated DVD player does not state that
it supports the MPEG-2 format.

What is the native format of commercial movie DVD's that
play on all standalone DVD players? Would I be set if I
could convert my avi, wmv etc. files to that format and
then burn them to CD-R or DVD+R? Is there any software
running under Linux that does this conversion? I have VLC,
MPlayer, Xine and Noatun installed as media players - would
any of them do it? Or would ffmpeg do it?

I also run Windows XP on this machine. Would it make more
sense to use a Windows utility to perform this conversion?
If so which one would be suitable? Would "Cucusoft
Mpeg/Mov/RMVB/DivX/AVI to DVD/VCD/SVCD/MPEG converter Lite"
do it? Is it any good?

Robert

  • Re: How can I play .avi, .wmv, .mov videos on a standalone DVD player?
    ... >> a format and on media that this dedicated DVD player can ... I looked up the ffmpeg website but my head began to spin ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: FOAK Widescreen TVs
    ... It's not a particularly great way of sending video around - I ... format, for as long as possible in the delivery chain, otherwise you're ... The TV card in my PVR, or some other chip in a DVD player, turns it ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: A list of Announced Blu/HD DVD Players... with pricing...
    ... "Irvine's Broadcom Corp. just introduced a chip that will let the ... next-generation DVD player work with either format. ...
    (alt.video.dvd)
  • Re: DVD Burning
    ... so what format are commercially available dvd movies dvd+r, ... since they readily play on my dvd player and my LG combi dvd-rom/cdrw! ... > Cari ... >>> Whichever your standalone DVD player supports best! ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.video)
  • Re: OT - TV advice
    ... surround sound receivers that required a DVD player in order to get ... DD ready SS receivers would deliver 5.1 SS with a DVD player. ... display a HD pic in a fullscreen 16:9 format? ... i was glad to be watching hdtv... ...
    (alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers)