Re: APT-GET Upgrade problem <solved>

On Monday 16 January 2006 10:18 am, Don wrote:
> Ok so I had issues with my Debian system and got myself into a bind.
> Reloaded from woody CD's and ended up with mouse issues I could not fix.
> Threw in the towel and reloaded once again. Mouse works fine but now I
> have a problem in APT. When attempting to upgrade to the latest versions
> of loaded packages (heading to Sarge then to Kernel update) I get the
> following:
>
> Preconfiguring packages ...
>
> Info: dictionaries-common/default-ispell is already set to
>
> [american (American English)]. Preserving it.
>
> Info: dictionaries-common/default-wordlist is already set to
>
> [american (American English)]. Preserving it.
>
> dpkg: `ldconfig' not found on PATH.
>
> dpkg: `start-stop-daemon' not found on PATH.
>
> dpkg: `install-info' not found on PATH.
>
> dpkg: `update-rc.d' not found on PATH.
>
> dpkg: 4 expected program(s) not found on PATH.
>
> NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and
> /sbin.

> However when I check the Root .profile I have the following entry for my
>X 11
>
> export PATH
>
> This contains everything that apt-get is stating should be there. Now
> what?
>

> Don

Did a google search (I know - I should have done that first) and found a
reference to this exact problem Opened a root terminal and simply entered
the path even though it was there originally and it worked. Not sure WHY it
worked, but it did.

Don

  • Re: xserver-xorg fatal configuration
    ... other way to give root access to your X session, ... And thereafter try to reinstall xserver-xorg ... with dpkg -i (the errors you got in the first place from that command ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • FW: changing roots on: dpkg -i
    ... >> build my own package? ... plus the ~official Debian ... > hard problem that's not real high on the dpkg feature list. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-request@lists.debian.org ...
    (Debian-User)
  • SOLVED was: Re: eth0 "disabled" after upgrade Squeeze to Wheezy
    ... What does dpkg think about it: ... Showed that ifupdown - and a whole lot of other packages - was not ... both and now I have netwrok connectivity. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [LH] Kate got her CBE today!
    ... Last time I looked American was deemed as a third world ... unusual way to record vocals or sing. ... To unsubscribe from this group or for more info about it, ... To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, ...
    (rec.music.gaffa)
  • Re: newbie question -- Using Bootlog, Startup Messages, Console
    ... package maintainer to include a brief statement about where to find the ... will also tell you which package contains bootlogd, ... dpkg -L initscripts ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)