_some_ DVDs won't play

Troubles playing about half of the 12 _Lord of the Rings_ DVDs
in a set purchased from amazon,
and on its replacement,
and on a third set set from Best Buy.

Drive: a Sony CD-RW, CRX320EE, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM
Using libdvdcss, from libdvdcss2_1.2.8-1_i386.deb
xine-ui 0.99.3-1

Most of the bad discs just won't play.
On some discs, the video has a lot of square holes in it.
On some, the DVD makes xine crash.
One disk even made X crash.

No trouble playing almost all other DVDs.
A borrowed set of LOTR discs will play on all machines.
Don't know when they were purchased, but not recently.

QUESTIONS:

Are the failures in reading LOTR discs
known to be deliberately caused by the manufacturer,
perhaps in revenge for DeCSS?
So that common equipment will play the DVDs,
but not read them error-free?
A sort of kludgy copy-protection scheme?

Just speculating ...

I was told recently that the cheapest DVD drives
have the best success rates and the least failures.

Any experience from the list?
Better to buy trash than quality,
because trashy drives work better?

- andrew porter, app@xxxxxxxx

  • Re: Semi-OT - Im a Happy Camper tonight!
    ... Region-Free Samsung DVD-C360 that I bought brand new via Amazon ... Lots and Lots of Region 2 DVDs that I bought between 1998 and the ... anime season is providing so few interesting shows for me to watch. ... In the UK we had the converse problem of how to play ...
    (rec.arts.anime.misc)
  • Re: Semi-OT - Im a Happy Camper tonight!
    ... Region-Free Samsung DVD-C360 that I bought brand new via Amazon ... Lots and Lots of Region 2 DVDs that I bought between 1998 and the ... anime season is providing so few interesting shows for me to watch. ... In the UK we had the converse problem of how to play ...
    (rec.arts.anime.misc)
  • Re: DVDs wont play.
    ... tried to do a windows update and search for hardware updates but none was ... the DVDs play fine in Intervideo's native DVD player ... DVDs in Media Player: "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: DVD/CDRW combo wont play DVDs
    ... dvd/cdrw combo and after installing sp2 my it won't play dvd's. ... DVDs will also not play using media player. ... > a know good condition but restore incomplete msg comes up... ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Cant play movie DVDs in Natty on HP laptop
    ... It turns out that not only does it not play Avatar, ... It plays 4x3 ratio DVDs without any ... trouble, and I can play the .avi rips I made on my desktop with the laptop, ... ..the Sin of Ignorance, ...
    (Ubuntu)