Re: "zope3" dependency problem

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 09:09:04PM +0200, Piotr Chamera wrote:
Hello

I am beginner user of etch (testing) distribution.
Installation of "zope3" package causes installation
of python2.4 and python2.3. Can I rid off python2.3
somehow? I don't need it. Dependencies are as follow:

zope3 -> python2.4
-> python2.4-docutils -> python-docutils -> python -> python2.3

If you look at the dependencies for package "python"

apt-cache show python

you will see that it depends on python >= 2.3.5-1 so I'd guess you are
alright.

also, that package "python" is a "dependency" package which is basically
a meta-package to allow other packages to "depend" on python without
specifying the version.

the problem may be that if you attempt to remove python2.3 apt will try
to remove python and all the other packages that depend on it as well,
which could be ugly.

have you installed python2.4? I'd suggest you go ahead and install it
as it doesn't conflict with 2.3. Then try apt-get remove python2.3 and
see what it says, you can always say no to the removal.

Is it bug in distribution, or I'm wrong somewhere?

thanks
Piotr Chamera

  • Re: Finding installed package files
    ... for making installation information more easily accessible? ... >> somewhere where more information about the key parts of the package ... >> As an example I installed the latest Python on Fedora 3. ... what one would expect is a form of help documentation much more integrated ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Install lxml package on Windows 7
    ... I need the lxml package to run a particular ... I found easy_install.exe in my Python 2.7 distribution. ... The usual installation pop-ups appear. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: #!/usr/bin/env python vs. #!/usr/bin/python
    ... You say this as though it's a property that a GNU/Linux distribution ... The difference seems to be that Python is an OS-installable package on ... default Python installation should work. ... \ "Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because fiction is | ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: bytecode non-backcompatibility
    ... > I am using Fink to maintain my Python installation and Fink maintains ... > finds that my Python is replaced by a newer version, ... I used the systems package handler. ... > of bytecodes) be made stable, like Java bytecodes, which are pretty ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: OSD Image cannot find Distribution Point
    ... Connect to the distribution point using the Advanced Client Network ... re-create the image installation CD. ... The PC recieved the advertisement and ran the package ok. ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.tools)