Re: distributions: UBUNTU vs DEBIAN

Digby Tarvin wrote:
Consequently I think Debian's more restrictive policy on hardware support
during and after installation is a disadvantage. By all means give preference
to free and open software where there are alternatives, but the time to worry
about the open source friendlyness of the hardware is when making the original
purchase, not during the install.

I agree. I'm all for openness and freedom, don't get me wrong. But I
hardly see how openness and freedom that forces people into a certain position
is either open or free. It's just another close position. If it is our
machine then where's the fault in us doing what we want with it? Especially
in cases where a free and open alternative often doesn't exist.

--
Steve C. Lamb | I'm your priest, I'm your shrink, I'm your
PGP Key: 8B6E99C5 | main connection to the switchboard of souls.