Re: distributions: UBUNTU vs DEBIAN

Digby Tarvin wrote:
Consequently I think Debian's more restrictive policy on hardware support
during and after installation is a disadvantage. By all means give preference
to free and open software where there are alternatives, but the time to worry
about the open source friendlyness of the hardware is when making the original
purchase, not during the install.

I agree. I'm all for openness and freedom, don't get me wrong. But I
hardly see how openness and freedom that forces people into a certain position
is either open or free. It's just another close position. If it is our
machine then where's the fault in us doing what we want with it? Especially
in cases where a free and open alternative often doesn't exist.

--
Steve C. Lamb | I'm your priest, I'm your shrink, I'm your
PGP Key: 8B6E99C5 | main connection to the switchboard of souls.

  • Re: [opensuse] How do I keep monitor from going to sleep
    ... in this case freedom has little to do with fact ... installation using rpm package manager program. ... They exist only if particular package is missing software that will ... also little to do with real reason for their existence. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: distributions: UBUNTU vs DEBIAN
    ... during and after installation is a disadvantage. ... I'm all for openness and freedom, ... and why I used MicroSoft Word to do a resume when ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3
    ... The freedom to run the program, for any purpose. ... say that they in no way are limiting my use of the Linux kernel (which ... discussion in section 5 about user products and installation information ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: No Authentication Code
    ... Bruce Chambers ... You can have peace. ... Or you can have freedom. ... > of luck or can I actually undo the installation some way. ...
  • Re: OEM vs "Full" XP - which to Use??
    ... BIOS-locked, installation CD. ... Bruce Chambers ... You can have peace. ... Or you can have freedom. ...