Re: GNOME new file selection dialogs

On 6/13/06, Marc Wilson <msw@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 03:07:18PM +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
> It's a shame that people still think of this as a concern:
> For the vast majority of people, I'd suggest that using
> GTK-apps or QT-apps in mutual exclusion is a serious case of
> premature optimisation and such people are missing out on
> some truly great software.

Unfortunately, while there are lots of GTK-based applications that don't
necessarily require Gnome, or can be built to not require Gnome, the same
thing cannot be said for QT-based applications. I have never found that QT
has wide acceptance outside the KDE community. Exceptions are applications
like scribus, but those are few and far between.

Don't forget Psi (psi-im.org). Of course I don't know exactly how many people
use it, but it seems to be fairly popular.

Starting a Gnome application ends up starting up gconfd, maybe loading a
comple libraries. Starting a KDE application leaves you with all sorts of
crap running, that doesn't go away. Thank you, but I don't need kdeinit
hanging around.

I used to get that problem (kdeinit hanging around), but I don't anymore.
I guess it was fixed in some upgrade.

Finally, I have never seen a KDE app that was worth bothering with. I'm
sure that someone will throw up k3b, but I'm not about to install all of
KDE just so that I can burn CD's. I found k3b's cutesy-poo interface
completely off-putting the one time I actually messed with it.

Well, I will mention k3b. And Amarok, Koffice, Quanta+ and Konq
(which is not my main browser or file manager, but still pretty nice).
But to each their own :-)

Of course, there are very few Gnome applications that're worth bothering
with, either.

Evince is the only one I can think of, but I haven't tried F-Spot (I don't
have any photos to speak of), or Epiphany (looks nice, although it
couldn't pull me away from Mozilla/SeaMonkey). Rhythmbox and
Totem seem like they will be good (but not great) if they can fix
the crashing problems they had last time I tried them.

I think both the actual desktops look great, but I get less distracted
when I use boring old Fluxbox (and FB has tabs).

And returning to the original topic, I don't get the hate for the GTK
file picker. Given a choice, I will take the QT version, but ever since
I learned that you can just start typing a path, it hasn't bothered
me much. Of course, I also usually just download to ~/Downloads
and if it needs moved, I move it from the command line.

Cheers,
Kelly

  • KDE activities
    ... With the problems I seem to be having with Gnome3 (not the problem that most people have with the shell, which I like - but other applications which seem to have become flakey - Gedit crashes on closing a tab, Nautilus FTP doesn't seem to work half the time, issues I have been discussing here about the applications launched with file associations ...) I decided to give KDE 4 another try. ... I should then right click on a desktop and select "Desktop Settings" I should see a window with the left pane having three options "Wallpaper", ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: GNOME new file selection dialogs
    ... while there are lots of GTK-based applications that don't ... necessarily require Gnome, or can be built to not require Gnome, the same ... has wide acceptance outside the KDE community. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: artsd suddenly eats CPU
    ... And also artsd kept respawning after I killed it, even though no KDE ... applications were running. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Any hope of KDE 3.5 in F10? I want it too !
    ... a lot of things have been ported: most of kdelibs, several applications such as ... Gwenview are new as parts of KDE itself (and do replace KDE 3 apps: Dolphin ... replaces Konqueror as the default file manager and Konqueror's file management ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: firefox memory leak
    ... typo, "konsole" is a terminal emulator for KDE, and KDE is a set of applications. ... Not all applications are visible in your desktop. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)