Re: CUPS dependencies

John Hasler <jhasler@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

RLH writes:
The problems we now are experiencing with CUPS appear to be a consequence
of the transition to Etch.

I haven't noticed any change in the level of complaints about CUPS. It
seems to me that they have been pretty much constant since it was
introduced. It appears to be one of the top reasons for new users to give
up on Linux.

This is curious.

I've been running Debian since the introduction of Potato. I was
content with lprng, and experienced minor problems when CUPS was
introduced. But I had not a bit of trouble with CUPS under Sarge. I'm
running a variety of printers: a HP laser on the parallel port, a HP
laser with JetDirect, a OKI dot matrix on USB.

I've had no problems with CUPS until I did a clean install of Etch a
few weeks ago, and even so, the problems are only minor. I get job
cover sheets which I do not wish to print, and it has been necessary to
go through the "modify printer" dialogue each time I boot the computer.

Other than that, CUPS "just works".

I've installed Debian on a number of desktop systems, and getting CUPS
running never has been a problem. I find it much easier to install
a printer with CUPS than with lprng.

RLH

  • Re: Which version
    ... The way you'd upgrade to Etch, is like he says, run "apt-get (or ... stand a good chance to see broken-ness real quick pop into your system ... installed by default on Sarge, so you might need to "apt-get install ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: hosed etch upgrade
    ... Given the mess I've now reached, decided the easiest thing is to do a full install of etch from scratch and restore data from backup... ... I had a system which had been running updates from test (ie. etch) for a while and when etch was formally released like an idiot decided I could do the final upgrade without reading the upgrade documents... ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
    (Debian-User)
  • System freeze with kernels after 2.6.12
    ... I've been running Sarge, then Etch on this system for a couple years. ... I tried a fresh install, thinking the original install just had some bad ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: New computer
    ... > Now i tried to install the new Debian Etch on it but already pretty ... > Etch i would like to have upgraded to Sid. ... And this did find my CDROM ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: distro for 486 with 32 MB ram
    ... The Etch install manual says that it needs 64 MB ram. ... I know that Sarge ... then make a list of the installed Sarge Packages ...
    (Debian-User)