Re: [OT] Win2k blocks ports to my ISP's pop3 & smtp

T <mlist4suntong@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

hi

Please don't flame for this waaa~y OT question -- I'm still trying to
solve my smarthost problem and was forced to use M$ outlook, I suspect is
it my ISP's problem but have to prove it, anyway, long story short:

What do you want to use for mail on the win2k system? Thunderbird?

I recommend downloading wireshark (was called ethereal) for win2k.
That helps me sort stuff out.

- My Linux is able to telnet to my ISP's pop3 & smtp respective
ports

Can your win2k telnet into them? Fire up cmd.exe and run telnet.
Have wireshark capture so you can see what you get.

- My Win2k (fired under WMWare) is not able to telnet to my ISP's pop3 &
smtp respective ports, though it can ping them without problem. And web
browsing is fine.

I think you mean you can ping the host by sending an ICMP message. I
don't know how you'd ping the TCP ports.

- This seems not be the WMWare's problem, because my new grml0.8 launched
within WMWare can telnet to my ISP's pop3 & smtp respective ports without
problem.

- I've done some homework about Win2k ports blocking, and have verified
that my TCP/IP filtering & IPSec is not used.

- The Win2k is out-of-box vanilla SP4, with bare minimum configuration, no
firewall or anti-virus SW.

It has been so long that I'm not using Windoze, I don't have a clue where
to look for potential problems now, and where to go for help.

Yeah networking on windows is a can of worms. Much easier for me to
configure linux but that may be because I am more used to it.

If you could give me any hints, it'd be very much appreciated.

Wireshark is your friend.

thanks a lot

PS. plz don't flame this poor guy in this terrible situation.

Johan KULLSTAM

  • [OT] Win2k blocks ports to my ISPs pop3 & smtp
    ... smtp respective ports, though it can ping them without problem. ... I've done some homework about Win2k ports blocking, ... PS. plz don't flame this poor guy in this terrible situation. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Win2K FireWall
    ... >> Well,if you're not concerened about outbound protection, then it may ... I looked at Win2k FW and it didn't seem that bad. ... >> well as any other host based FW. ... > that listen on various ports and may thus be hackable. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Trying to get a network printer HP LaserJet (tm) 2100tn to print from debian
    ... 1641 filtered ports, ... The telnet program expects a space, not a colon, between the address ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ... Trouble? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Trying to get a network printer HP LaserJet (tm) 2100tn to print from debian
    ... 1641 filtered ports, ... The telnet program expects a space, not a colon, between the address ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ... Trouble? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Squid as default gateway in proxy mode.