Re: [OT] Win2k blocks ports to my ISP's pop3 & smtp

T <mlist4suntong@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

hi

Please don't flame for this waaa~y OT question -- I'm still trying to
solve my smarthost problem and was forced to use M$ outlook, I suspect is
it my ISP's problem but have to prove it, anyway, long story short:

What do you want to use for mail on the win2k system? Thunderbird?

I recommend downloading wireshark (was called ethereal) for win2k.
That helps me sort stuff out.

- My Linux is able to telnet to my ISP's pop3 & smtp respective
ports

Can your win2k telnet into them? Fire up cmd.exe and run telnet.
Have wireshark capture so you can see what you get.

- My Win2k (fired under WMWare) is not able to telnet to my ISP's pop3 &
smtp respective ports, though it can ping them without problem. And web
browsing is fine.

I think you mean you can ping the host by sending an ICMP message. I
don't know how you'd ping the TCP ports.

- This seems not be the WMWare's problem, because my new grml0.8 launched
within WMWare can telnet to my ISP's pop3 & smtp respective ports without
problem.

- I've done some homework about Win2k ports blocking, and have verified
that my TCP/IP filtering & IPSec is not used.

- The Win2k is out-of-box vanilla SP4, with bare minimum configuration, no
firewall or anti-virus SW.

It has been so long that I'm not using Windoze, I don't have a clue where
to look for potential problems now, and where to go for help.

Yeah networking on windows is a can of worms. Much easier for me to
configure linux but that may be because I am more used to it.

If you could give me any hints, it'd be very much appreciated.

Wireshark is your friend.

thanks a lot

PS. plz don't flame this poor guy in this terrible situation.

Johan KULLSTAM