Re: Debian Proxy Server

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 09/28/06 20:27, Jay Zach wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 09/28/06 14:18, Jay Zach wrote:
houkrc@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Dear Debian Support,
[snip]
Although, I use Debian for everything else Linux, I use IPCop
(http://ipcop.org) for what you are wanting. I think it would be
a lot simpler for you to setup for that purpose than Debian, as
that is what it's designed to do from the ground up.
The IpCop About page mentions Linux Firewall Distribution about 85
times, but not web caching and filtering.

It has web caching builtin --
http://www.ipcop.org/1.4.0/en/admin/html/services.html#services_webproxy

Filtering is accomplished by easy to install addons that include Dan's
Guardian or urlfilter. Advanced Proxy is also available as an addon and
gives more caching control, and advanced options like ldap
authentication, all done through an easy to use html interface (although
installing the addons requires following a few simple steps through
ssh). Here is a site that has many, many addons for IPCop, including
Cop+ which includes Dan's Guardian...
http://firewalladdons.sourceforge.net/

IMHO, it's a lot simpler to set up for someone new to linux, but there
may be exceptions.

Good to know. OP is pretty insistent that he only wants caching &
filtering. Since IPcop is the Linux *Firewall* Distribution, will
it try to force itself into also being firewall, gateway, etc?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Is "common sense" really valid?
are mud people.

I guess I misread the part of the OP about the firewall/router, for some reason,
I thought they were going to replace that, also. I'm pretty sure IPCop wouldn't
mind not being the gateway, but it might not be quite as good a choice as I was
thinking. I see where you're coming from, now ;)
- --

Monday Sep 18, 2006