Re: generate syndication feed for podcast

Jochen Schulz <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Russell L. Harris:

I discovered and installed a Debian package "python-pyrss2gen" which is
a Python interface for generating RSS 2.0 feeds, but the package appears
to have no man page. I searched with Google but I did not find information
about the package, so I don't know how to use it.

It's a programming library for python and these seldomly have a manpage.
But I agree that documentation is a little bit poor. However, there is
a usage example in /usr/share/doc/python-pyrss2gen/README.gz.

I only used it once to write a little script that dissects bash.org's
HTML output so that I have an RSS feed of new entries. You can look at
it here:
http://wasteland.homelinux.net/svn/src/python/scripts/bash-rss.py
and the output at:
http://wasteland.homelinux.net/~jrschulz/bash-org.rss

Finding the right HTML tags which include the interesting parts of your
website might be a little tricky and in my case it only works so well
because bash.org's HTML is quite tidy. If you have direct access to the
site it might be easier gather the information you need from another
place than the site's HTML output. That gives the additional benefit
that your script won't break when the site's layout changes.

J.

Thanks, Jochen! I feel stupid for failing to look for the README in the
"doc" directory.

I'll take a look at your example the first thing in the morning.

RLH