Re: xorg , xfree86?

On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 05:00:28PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 04:38:36PM -0700, ChadDavis wrote:
Hey there. What X system does my recent (installed yesterday ) debian etch
system use? Isn't there adifference between xfree86 and xorg? The docs I
found on the debian site are for xfree86 but my system seems to have X11 /
xorg stuff on it? Sort me out if I'm clueless.

Sarge uses xfree86. Etch uses xorg. As I understand it, there was a change
in the license of xfree86 after release of Sarge. That change was not
acceptable according to DFSG. So, people who take such things seriously,
and have the talent to do something about it, have forked x-windows.
(I care, but don't have the talent.)

One of the major differences between XFree86 and Xorg is the use of
modularized source. This allows each part of the server to worked on
individually and by default easier and faster. There are now individual
files for the various video cards and input devices.
Kev
--
| .''`. == Debian GNU/Linux == | my web site: |
| : :' : The Universal | debian.home.pipeline.com |

  • Re: Xorg-6.9: Das altgr Problem ist wieder da
    ... aber dann wenn man Xorg über das startx Skript anstartet. ... Da Sarge mit XFree86 läuft, ... etliche Dateien mit Tastatursymboldefinitionen enthält. ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.x11)
  • RE: Portupgrade in Xfree86 pkg failed
    ... >> I'm sorry to step on the toes of the port maintainer but instead ... As a matter of fact I just installed xfree86 a week ago, from scratch, ... But I have no problems in building xorg on FreeBSD 5, ... >maintainers to keep things working on 4.X whenever possible. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • RE: Portupgrade in Xfree86 pkg failed
    ... >> I'm sorry to step on the toes of the port maintainer but instead ... As a matter of fact I just installed xfree86 a week ago, from scratch, ... But I have no problems in building xorg on FreeBSD 5, ... >maintainers to keep things working on 4.X whenever possible. ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: nv driver support Asus N6600 video card?
    ... >>motherboard and an Asus Extreme N6600 video card. ... XFree86 or Xorg? ... You should be using Xorg ... Debian is still using XFree86 in Sarge and Etch. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Trying to determine XFree86 version
    ... > that you're NOT running XFree86. ... SuSE changed over to default to the usage of Xorg windowing system ... > similar to SuperProbe. ... > examine the file for information regarding your video system. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)